Sam's Club Icing

Decorating By misserica Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm by sweetiesbykim

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I guess I'm the minority because once I went Sam's, I never looked back! What a treat to grab a bucket to frost cakes, cupcakes, etc. instead of having to make batch after batch of icing in my KA. Sam's is universally loved and what pushed me to buy it was EVERYONE saying my icing was too sweet.

This kinds frosts my.....bum icon_smile.gif because icing, by definition is sugar and fat, so it's going to be sweet. I have made every icing known to mankind, Sugarshack (family didn't care for it but it handled beautifully), IndyDeb (this was the best of the bunch), every SMBC or IMBC, Whimsical Bakehouse (too greasy) and on down the line.

Everyone who has tasted the Sam's likes it and I have cut it 50/50 with pastry pride for lighter cake preferences (doesn't smooth as well) and my only complaint about Sam's is once on a cake, I think it looks somewhat dingy (for lack of a better word.)

It's white but only until you hold something white against it - then it looks ivory. But this is something I can live with, lol, cuz I ain't goin' back to making icing anytime soon! And the Sam's fudge icing is insane. I use it as filiing, etc. and it smooths beyond beautifully.

I agree! Much easier this way. I have a full time job and many other activities in my life...this has help me so much.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #32 of 73

I am going to go back to Sam's and see if they will sell me the $18 BETTERCREME...as for the But-r-creme that I had bought by accident, I actually donated it to a friend of mine who was having a large party for little girls (Girl Scouts) that are going to be decorating cupcakes.

I really like Bettercreme, I use it exclusively at the bakery I work at, so I am going to give it a whirl at Sam's this afternoon. If not, since all of you gave me such great ideas for flavoring (and curd, great idea) I can always get another bucket of the But-r-creme.

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #33 of 73

what aisle can this buttercream be found in?

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #34 of 73

misserica, i am from NJ and cannot seem to find a Sam's that sells the bettercream or buttercream. I am close to Clinton. Would you mind sharing which Sams you found these at? I figure even if I have to travel a bit, it may very well be worth it. I hate making icing! lol (You can pm me if you don't want to put a location on here)Thanks!!!!

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #35 of 73

At my Sam's club its not out for sale but in the bakery department. I had to go to the counter and ask for it and they brought it out for me. I have heard though that in some clubs they keep it out near their baked goods.

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #36 of 73

SugarLover...I got mine at Freehold.
I think that might be a bit of a hike for you...but if you are in the area or traveling down the shore you could swing by.

SugarLover2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #37 of 73

Ooh, thanks! The beach-oh yeah, I'll make sure I make it a point to get there. Nothin better than the beach!

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #38 of 73

Oh yes the beloved Jersey Shore haha. Not that we have had beach weather yet, I am starting to think we might have been transported to Seattle with this rain and fog.

Sugar...I just called Sam's club in Linden and Secaucus and they both sell But-r-creme by the bucket. At the Sam's in Secaucus you need to call them and pre-order a bucket a week in advance. I am not sure how close either of them are to you but I am pretty sure one of them is closer to you then Freehold.

SugarLover2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #39 of 73

Thanks! You totally didn't have to do that, but I appreciate the help. I think I'll stick to Freehold though. Linden is way to close to the city for me and the beach is closer to Freehold. Yeah, this weather is terrible! I so need a good beach weekend!

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #40 of 73

No problem I am home today sitting in front of the computer...yea you guessed it because its gross out. Now I am kind of curious, I wonder if BJ's or Costco sell icing by the tub, lol!

They are saying this weekend may not be a complete wash out for us so I am crossing my fingers that we get some sun and heat. Its the middle of June! When you take a ride down try not to come on a Friday afternoon because you will sit in massive amounts of the brutal shore traffic. I complain because I live here, everyone else gets excited haha.

SugarLover2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #41 of 73

oh yes, i won't even think of the parkway on a friday! it would have to be a day trip though because i have a cat that i can't leave for any longer than a day (diabetes). so, probably a saturday-leave early and get home around dinner time. when i'm set to go i'll have to pm you and maybe you can give me a good idea of which beach to hit. i usually go to spring lake or further south.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #42 of 73

The bucket I bought from my local Sam's Club said Rich's Bettercreme right on it, it was around $19. Since I don't always need a 15lb bucket of it, I was able to buy it from my local restaurant supply store Gordon Food Service. The bucket from Sams was whipped and ready to go, but the one from GFS you have to whip yourself. It comes in a quart size carton.

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #43 of 73

I love Spring Lake!! I am in that general area so when you go let me know, I will tell you where to go to avoid the "tourist" beaches!

Off to find out if BJ's or Costco selling Bettercreme...the bakery I work for wont sell me a bucket, pssh! Of course they have to make things difficult lol.

Enjoy the beautiful weather Sugar! lol

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2create

For those who have used the Bettercreme, how long do you find it stays stable, I am wondering would this work on a cake for a hot July day, considering the trasportation in warm auto, in and out of different temps.
I like the taste just not sure how it holds up And also if I frost the cakes the day before do I need to ref. those cakes. it would be hard to refrig a 16 in square in my frig. I do not have a walk in cooler( wish I did).
I would appreicate any help and thoughts

Thanks

I'm giving you a bump as I'm also curious how it holds up.

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #45 of 73

Hensor...I think what happened was I spoke to the bakery manager when I called and asked if they sold "Bettercreme" and asked if I could pick one up. When I got there though I dealt with someone else. I am saying this on the most polite way, there was a bit of a language barrier with the person I dealt and I ended up with a bucket with no label, just one they printed out at that moment and stuck on. It was my fault. But I promise I will get the right one, I am determined haha.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #46 of 73

Considering when orders are being placed, the options are Buttercream or Whipped...not buttercream or bettercreme. When requesting it, it is best to ask for a bucket of vanilla WHIPPED icing for the very reason that happened to OP. When you ask for it, try to make sure (visibly...heaven forbid you ask them if they pulled it from the freezer...you'll make it to their 5#!+ list for sure ) that they do pull it from their freezer and not their cooler ( I mean no offense to the associates but some just know that they seen some in the cooler and know the first out rule and think it applies in all cases ....know this for a fact ).

SugarLover2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #47 of 73

Thanks Misserica. You too!

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #48 of 73

Two awesome points all4cake...next time I will not only ask for the "whipped" but also the one out of the freezer! I did not even think of that and when I read your post I remember the person helping me just walking in the back and pulling it off a shelf.

Silly me knows that at the bakery I work for we keep our "Bettercreme" (whipped lol) in the freezer.

I think this was mostly my error, too many things to do in one day and not enough brain cells.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #49 of 73

The costco here was very nasty when I asked if I could buy chocolate buttercream, Sams club was really nice about it, and it's super yummy! Although I only opened it last Friday, and it's almost like it has water in it or something, but it goes away when I mix it up, has anyone had this problem?

misserica Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #50 of 73

Chassidyg, I notice this with Rich's Bettercreme at work. Both the Vanilla and Chocolate separate. Actually, at the bakery I work for they use the Oreo and Peanut Butter Bettercreme as well and you should see how bad the Peanut Butter one separates, it has a dark brown liquid at the bottom. I just stirred and stirred and then it was fine but I have noticed it on all of the products from the line that I have access to.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #51 of 73

I just bought some of the But R Cream from Sams to try and I agree it is very sweet. It is a 28 lb bucket for 31.18. Is the Bettercream less sweet and can it be left out after it is put on a cake or does it need to be put in the fridge?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #52 of 73

As stated earlier, the Bettercreme is similar to stabilized whipped cream or a firmer Cool Whip. It is less sweet. Products can remain at "ambient room temperature" for up to 5(may be 7...I'm too lazy to get up to look at the bucket) days (definitely depends on filling and cake though) when iced and decorated with this product.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #53 of 73

I went to a Costco in NY today, and asked the bakery guy about icing. No, they do not sell it, he told me. Darn. Does anyone know if Wal-Mart sells icing?

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I went to a Costco in NY today, and asked the bakery guy about icing. No, they do not sell it, he told me. Darn. Does anyone know if Wal-Mart sells icing?

When I asked at my Wal Mart I was told no. I thought this to be a little odd since Sam's and Wal Mart are the same company. So I mentioned this to the Sam's lady I was talking to and she said it was probably because Sam's carries items in bulk and Wal Mart does not...which made sense.

cutthecake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #55 of 73

Does the Sam's icing taste like the canned stuff by DH or BC? I hate that canned stuff, so if Sam's tastes like it, I'll stop looking for it.
Thanks.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #56 of 73

I don't think it does. I think it has a better texture to it as well. IMHO

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #57 of 73

I scored 2 pounds of the BEttercream today at the local store bakery/deli.

This is a concoction that I can only describe as being a cross between whipped non-dairy creamer and marshmallow cream. It's light, fluffy, nice vanilla flavoring, but not overly sweet. It's definitely thicker than whipped cream or non-dairy creamer---but not AS thick as marshmallow creme. It's really nice.

I know you've had to taste this stuff before. If you've ever had the "whipped icing" from a store deli/bakery on something---you've had it.

I made sure to get a taste sample before I bought it though. I didn't want COOL WHIP this time around, LOL!

misserica Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #58 of 73

cutthecake, I think the Sam's but-r-creme does taste like DH or BC canned icing. Its overly sweet to me, just my opinion. As CakeLady said though, the Bettercreme is not overly sweet and its super smooth. (if it gets too warm its a pain to make flowers with) It goes on cakes beautifully though. I think at least lol.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

cutthecake, I think the Sam's but-r-creme does taste like DH or BC canned icing. Its overly sweet to me, just my opinion. As CakeLady said though, the Bettercreme is not overly sweet and its super smooth. (if it gets too warm its a pain to make flowers with) It goes on cakes beautifully though. I think at least lol.

I also think it's too sweet, and a grainy 10X feel. Easy, but nothing special. If I got stuck with it, I would use it just for coloring, flowers, and decorating details, like mentioned earlier. The bakery clerk gave me a squirt into a condiment cup to sample at the store. I was prepared to buy it on the spot, but not after I tasted it. Too bad.

I would like to try the Bettercreme, though. Does it double in volume after it's beaten, like whipped cream? Is it like ice cream consistency when it's in the freezer? My local bake shop sells it by the quart and is very expensive. How much of an amount do you get at Sam's for $18?

cutthecake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #60 of 73

Thanks for all your replies. I'll have to think about it some more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%