I Threw Them Out !!!

Decorating By live2create Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm by lovelytee

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 27

Ok so I have ( HAD ) the Wilton 16 square pans, I have been so frustrated with these pans and I am just wondering if any of you have had the problem I have had. The 16" fits my oven ok, but for some reason the pans I have seem to burn on the bottom. The top and sides are fine. When I am baking nothing is smelling like things are burning, but whenI go to take the cake out of the pan the bottom has issues. So after this last weekend the are in the garbage. These pans have gave me problems in the past so I watch them very close. But not anymore, now I need to replace them. I have been looking at the magic line any thoughts on their pans or Fatdiddo ( not sure of spellling)
When I first started out I thought Wilton was the best now I am not sure. Then I have the Wilton 9 in pans you would think they would be round but they contour out at the top. Makes it a pain to frost.
I welcome any suggestion on pans

Thanks

26 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 27

I have a set of Fat Daddio petal shaped pans and they need to be very well greased, other than that I think they bake up fine. They are constructed of a nice weight. I noticed some Wilton pans are thinner in spots and tend to over heat (burn). It's a materials/construction issue.

Good Luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 27

Yeah, I replaced all my Wilton pans with Magic Line and my only regret is that I didn't do it SOONER!

I particularly hated the large Wilton square pans. My cakes didn't burn on the bottom (move that rack up a notch, maybe?) but the corners would only rise an inch and were hard as a rock.

Whichever pans you use, be sure to use flower nails or heating core for the large ones. icon_smile.gif

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 27

Magic Line is also a great pan. IMHO

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 27

I have replaced most of my pans with magic line. Especially the square ones they are better than fat daddio's IMO. They have nice sharp corners versus fat daddios which have a more rounded corner.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 27

DianeLM,
Could you explaine the heating core, and as for the flower nail do you mean what you would use to make roses as the flower nail.
Thanks for the help

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 27

I LOVE the sharp corners of the magic line pans - they bake up beautifully. As far as the heating core - use your flower nail - grease it well, and turn it upside down and stick it in the middle of your large pans - it works like a charm. I only use one in the very large pans, and have never had any problems - it just pops right up when you turn the cake out to cool.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 27

I wish I knew about Magic Line before I bought all my pans. icon_sad.gif I can't get them here and honestly don't even know where to look online. I need a Canadian supplier!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2create

DianeLM,
Could you explaine the heating core, and as for the flower nail do you mean what you would use to make roses as the flower nail.
Thanks for the help

A heating core is a hollow metal tube inserted into the center of the cake to help the heat distribute more evenly to the center of the cake. You can make your own with an empty can.

Grease it well, then insert it in the center of the pan. Fill the inside of the core to the same level as the rest of the pan. Once the cake is baked, remove the core, push the cake out of it and replace it in the hole in the cake.

I prefer to use flower nails. Yep, the ones you make roses on. I don't bother greasing them and have never had a problem removing them. That's because I line the bottom of all my cake pans with parchment. I place the flower nail(s) point side up in the pan, punch the parchment over the point, then pour in the batter. When I turn out my cakes, I just pull out the flower nail which is on the outside of the parchment.

I use a flower nail on any pan 9-inches or larger. For really large pans, such as the 16-inch, I'll use 3 or 4 flower nails. They leave such a tiny hole, there's no risk of compromising the structure of the cake.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 27

Hello to all...I never find 'magic line' pans...where do you buy them?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 27

I don't know where you'd find them in a brick and mortar store. But they're available online from many sources. google "magic line pans"

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

https://www.cakesnthings.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1231

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=250

I order from both these places, fast shipping and reasonable shipping chgs.
I have not tried magic line, I have fat daddio and I really like them.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 27

I use Wilton all the time, and have never had any of the problems you are describing. Are you using the bake-even strips??? Those are a god-send! And turn your oven down by 25 degrees. Takes longer, but better results.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 27

I have the Wilton 16 in and recently (april ) I did my friend's wedding, 16, 12, 8, 6 in square. I had no problems. I used flower nails and baked at 325. I didn't even have to level my cakes! icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 27

Live2create,
It breaks my heart to hear that you threw the pans out. I would be more than willing to buy them from you and help pay for your new set. Email me if you would like to disucss. [email protected]

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #16 of 27

I recently purchased Magic Line pans, and I love them. For the first time ever, my square cakes are perfectly square and the corners actually rise to the top of the pan every time.

I'm planning on buying another set of Magic Line pans, and then I'm getting rid of all of my Wilton and Fat Daddio pans. Magic Line is absolutely, without question, worth the extra cost.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #17 of 27

I also use wilton pans at 325 degrees with the bake even strips and have never had a problem.
BTW, contour pans fetch a hefty price on ebay so fish them out of the garbage and make some money

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 27

I agree - Magic Line all the way! I have a few Wilton left and they just don't compare. Not that they burn, but there is more of a dark crust with them.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #19 of 27

I have the square magic line pans as well and just love them. They bake so evenly, it's amazing! If you're going to get some, I highly recommend magicline!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

https://www.cakesnthings.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1231

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=250

I order from both these places, fast shipping and reasonable shipping chgs.
I have not tried magic line, I have fat daddio and I really like them.

Thank you very much Hellie! icon_smile.gif

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #21 of 27

i have wilton pans, and they are not all that great! i've been looking into the magic line, and after all the good remarks, i think i will be changing. the corners don't cook up well and i always have to doctor them. also, i have a wilton sheet, and it droops in the middle. icon_sad.gif

so, magic line, it is!

e rose sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
e rose sweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #22 of 27

I have a 10" wilton pan and 10" I believe majic line becauase it's a thicker pan. Anyone didn't notice until I used them both to bake lemon cakes and the wilton pan baked faster or something when I took them out the wilton cake was dark around the sides not burned but dark and the other cake came out a beautiful yellow it also baked taller than the wilton pan and they were both baked at the same temp 325.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #23 of 27

Wow, this is interesting! I've been baking in Wilton pans for 8 yrs, and have NEVER had a cake burn, or sag in the middle, or have a dark crust. Now, the whole sharp corners thing is frustrating.

I did a square wedding cake in Mar and used the Wilton pan set. For the 16" I took the racks out of my oven and inverted a Pampered Chef large stone rack to set the pan on. Came out like a dream, cooked thru (w/ heating core), and rose great.

I have a convection oven...I wonder if that makes a big difference? Weire how different ppl have different results with the same equipment!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #24 of 27

I didn't think I had a problem w/ dark cakes until I, like e rose sweets, used one wilton 8" and one magic line 8" . The difference is amazing! I think i even posted a picture at the time...

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #25 of 27

Where is the cheapest place to buy square Magic Line pans ?

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #26 of 27

I get mine on Amazon. Buy 3 get 1 free.

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #27 of 27

I just ordered mine online thanks to the advice I got on CC. I ordered mine from cooksdream. com (no spaces in between) I ordered the set of 6, 8, 10, 12, & 14 @ 3" height. There is even a discount after a certain price. I did my research and they seemed to be the cheapest. HTH and good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%