Help With Gluten, Dairy, Soy And Sugar Free Recipe! Yikes!

Baking By amyfruity Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 7:15am by JanH

amyfruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfruity Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning,

I'm pretty new to this whole cake thing. I have a friend that has to stay away from gluten, dairy, soy and sugar. I searched for recipes and found the Gluten, Free, Celiac Safe white cake.....but it has sugar in it. Does anyone have a recipe that eliminates all of these things? Is it possible? Would it taste good? Haha! Also....if there is a recipe....what would I cover the cake in that doesn't contain sugar? HELP! I want my friend to be able to celebrate her birthday with a cake.

Thanks,
Amy icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
amyfruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfruity Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 4

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.....

kathy172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy172 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:56am
post #3 of 4

Hi,

I am going to throw out some ideas for subbing out the sugar, but since you didn't say why she is avoiding the sugar, or which type of sugar, I'm not sure I can help too much. I did make a cake that was gluten, dairy, egg, soy, corn, and cane sugar free, but it was trial and error and done several years ago so I don't have a recipe. sorry. Here's some ideas though:

for sugar subs- maple sugar (looks like brown sugar or raw sugar)
brown rice syrup (comes in a jar and is thick like molassas)
Stevia- very sweet, slight aftertaste, natural plant based sub.
honey
maple syrup

Many of these subs. can be found at Whole Foods markets, and sometimes in a Diabetic section of a regular market. Also- www.allergygrocer.com is a wonderful online retailer that carries many different flours, mixes and also has recipes. You might check there.

Lastly- this is from Sully's "Living Without Magazine" website. It calls for 4 eggs- you'll have to sub. out those with flax gel or Ener-G egg replacer if she is avoiding eggs too.

"Living Without" is a great resource. They had an issue with many sugar free, gluten free recipes, but it was a while back. Maybe give them a call and get a back issue. www.livingwithout.com

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Hawaiian Wedding Cake
Serves 9

This delicious cake is updated from an old family recipe. Free of gluten, dairy and refined white sugar, it is a popular reader favorite. Use the gluten-free flour blend suggested or your favorite packaged flour mix. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting (gluten and sugar free) or the topping of your choice.

1½ cups maple sugar
2½ cups gluten-free flour blend of choice (or recipe below)
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup oil
4 extra-large eggs
2 cups grated raw carrots
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
1½ cups sugar-free dry coconut
1½ cups chopped nuts, optional

Cream Cheese Frosting

6 ounces cream cheese
¼ cup maple sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
Mix dry ingredients together and make a well. Add oil and eggs and beat everything until just blended. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes until done. Remove from oven and cool.
To make frosting, whip together cream cheese, maple sugar, vanilla and heavy cream just enough to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting over cake and serve.
Gluten-Free Flour Mix
Makes 3 Cups
2 cups white or brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour

Blend all ingredients until well combined. Store unused portion in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.

HTH

feel free to email me if I can help

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #4 of 4

When you say "stay away from" does she have allergies, sensitivities, or multiple medical conditions like diabetes and celiac disease?

Yours isn't an easy request, as the cake & frosting must be made of something, without putting the birthday girl at risk.

Here's a post on soy-free baking & decorating which only addresses one restriction:
(Who knew soy was in just about everything.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-634830-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%