Modeling Chocolate? Have You Worked With It?

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm by ibmoser

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!
Have you ever worked with modeling chocolate? And how do you like it compared to gumpaste or fondant?
I have been reading up on modeling chocolate, and was just wondering......can you do full figures with it? What I mean is, can you sculpt an entire figure/flower/whatever with just modeling chocolate, or do you need other things like gumpaste or fondant to make it stronger?
I'm really wanting to give it a try, but am a little wary..........any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Susan

1 reply
ibmoser Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 2

I'm in love with modeling chocolate icon_lol.gif . Delicate gumpaste work is exquisite but far from truly edible considerring taste and texture. Fondant won't hold up for modeling figures in my humid area. I don't sell, BTW - this is a hobby (passion?!?). I have a modeling chocolate shoe and bear I made over a year ago. I do keep them covered but do not have any desiccant with them, and we frequently don't use the AC, so temps on them do fluctuate a bit. They look like I just made them, but I have lost all of my gumpaste work in this humidity. I took a class last year and covered cakes in modeling chocolate using several techniques - impressive. Flowers are not as delicate, or at least not in my inept fingers, but chocolate is a keeper! There is a time and need for everything....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%