Do You Think The Bride Will Go For This ???? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All!!

I have a friend that is wanting me to do her wedding cake. She is wanting REAL orchids cascading down her cake. I am doing my best to talk her out of doing real flowers. I am not wanting to deal with the chemicals the flowers are sometimes are treated with to kill off bugs. I know I can get with the florist for organic flowers, but I am still not wanting to take the chance.

I did a minature cake of what she is wanting. Can you please take a look in my photos and tell me what you think. This was a quick cake. The icing is not as smooth as I will normally would like it. But I was wanting to show her what silk flowers can look like. It is the mint green with orchids round cake.

Thank you,

=)

10 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 11

In my experience, when I bride has her heart set on something, you'll be hard-pressed to change it. That said, I rarely use fresh flowers in my designs, and I will ONLY use flowers that are considered edible and are grown for consumption (not just "organic," but actually raised for consumption--you normally get these through your produce purveyor). Most orchids are edible, so it can be done.

I say show her the pic and see what she says... there's really no way for us to know what she'll go for... but it doesn't hurt to try.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 11

I am with Pink...if the bride wants something I would do it. I do not do this for a living and have never done a wedding cake but I would say do what she wants within reason. Plenty of wedding cakes have real flowers on them and they are safe.
I would hate for you do the cake with the silk and then have a bridezilla story posted on here after the wedding.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 11

i think the silk looks pretty, but its her decision!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 11

The silk ones really are nice.

Silk flowers also have chemicals not only used in the process of making them but also applied afterward to help with color retention, and also to repel bugs during storage and shipping. If she's set on using real ones, let her contact the florist for them. If unable to find pesticide free ones (whether real or silk) protect the area of the cake where they'll rest.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 11

It's a cute cake! Good luck!

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 11

i agree with the others. It's her day and her cake.

You've advised her of the potential risks and that's the best you can do. Plenty of cakes have real flowers on them. If you don't feel comfortable using them, have her contract with the florist and you can be available to decorate and apply them to the cake.

Good luck

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 11

As PinkZiab points out, there are edible orchids (orchids are, after all, the source of real vanilla!) and I would just make sure to use that kind.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 11

Sounds like all4cake had the best ideas. Although the silk is beautiful, if she doesn't want to use them, she should take the responsibilty of getting those that are totally safe, and release you from any liability.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah I always have the bride be responsible for getting fresh cake flowers from a florist or whatever. I will put them on the cake when setting up but I never buy the fresh flowers.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you everyone for the advice!!

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%