I Need Help!!!!!!!

Baking By babykonst Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm by artscallion

babykonst Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everone, i need major help, i made some cupcakes with bc icing for a bridal shower last week, and now i have another order (the theme is pink and green), the only problem is for this new order they will be having it outside, and she is concerend that the bc will melt out in the sun, so i told her i would stiffen it (ie make a crusting buttercream) so my questions are as follows:

will crusting bc be ok out in the sun, and may i add a flavourant, ie crushed rasberries to it?

she also wants half to be 'green' flavourd, so i was thinking of adding lime or green apple extract(will this work with the bc??)

our third option is the use fondant, so how will i be able to flavour the fondant?? may i use the above extracts, or will that ruin it?? also, how much should i charge for these???

thanks for all your help!!!!!

10 replies
terrig007 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 11

I haven't had any trouble in the heat with Sharon's icing but I don't know where you live. But here is a bump though.

tsc Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 11

well, i can help with part of your question. living in va, i've dealt w/ the whole sun/heat issue. first off, you don't want them directly in the sun, if at all possible. are they having a tent or pavilion? this will help. also, depending on the decorations, i keep them in the fridge until the last possible minute, and take them outside. this seems to help the bc last a little longer w/out cracking/melting.
as for flavoring, you can put whatever extract you want in the icing. i usually use vanilla just because i'm a big fan. just use some of the clear, if you're doing white bc. they make a ton of different flavors, so i'm sure you can find some. can't help with the fruit question, as i've never done that part. hth

confectioneista Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 11

If you're using the crusting BC, I would just add flavored extracts to them, not the crushed raspberries because that will water down the BC. And the extracts will tint your BC.

Ususally crusting BC will hold for a while outside, but don't expose the cupcakes to direct heat. Maybe have a small tent set up for the display.

If you use fondant and make your own, you can easily flavor the fondant with any extract you want. Again, just remember, some extracts will tint the fondant, unless you use a colorless extract. If you need a recipe for making fondant, there are several here on CC. Many use MMF. HTH

elkinchahin Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 11

I dont know about the flavoring in the bc, but im sure you can add to it just how u add vanilla, I use indydeby's bc and its crust really nice, and it taste good, in her recipe says add vanilla but im sure you can subtitute with different extracts. Hope this helps.

umgrzfn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 11

Welcome to CC. Yes, you can add flavoring to fondant. There are recipes on here that will say how they hold up. I THINK indydebi has a crusting BC that is good in heat. Go under recipes and do a search. I can't really answer the other questions.

umgrzfn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 11
babykonst Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 11

thanks ladies, for all your help, so i found out the shower will be under a tent, and from your responses, the crusting bc will hold, how do i tell the customer that?? she thinks it will be toxic yadda yadda yadda

confectioneista Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Toxic? There's nothing in BC to make it toxic. Just tell her that BC doesn't have to be kept refrigerated at all times; it will be fine under the tent for the shower with no issues.

babykonst Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for all your help!!!! very informative, and very appreceated!!!

artscallion Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 11

Basic melting rule...more butter in the recipe equals more melting. More crisco in the recipe equals less melting. I'd use a recipe like indydeb's that is all crisco, no butter. But even crisco has it's melting point. So, as others have said, keep them out of the direct sun if possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%