What Real Flowers Are Safe To Put On A Cake?

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 1:25am by Bluehue

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 5

i have a bride that wants her mom's fiend to just push real flowers down in the middle of my decorated wedding tiers. I siaid i would not put the flowers into the cake......what flowers are safe? she wants to use gerber daisies and some other flowers. help!

4 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 5

Personally i would make and cover th cake - then hand it over to the customer..... if she or family members want to *push* real flowers into it.
The link that Win provided is great reading - but even with *edible* flowers some still have sappy stems and that can drip into a cake.
IF i am using wires or fresh flowers i always use a cake pick - that way nothing comes into contact with the actual cake and thus no contamination.

Perhaps you need to tell the customer that Gerberas have sappy stems - and drip.... thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif
Whether going into the cake - or just sitting amongst the tiers - it will mark your covered cake.
Also - consider getting them to sign a letter stating that you are not responsible for what happens after you hand the covered cake over to them - contamination/marks/taste...best to cover yourself and be safe rather than sorry.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Personally i would make and cover th cake - then hand it over to the customer..... if she or family members want to *push* real flowers into it.
The link that Win provided is great reading - but even with *edible* flowers some still have sappy stems and that can drip into a cake.
IF i am using wires or fresh flowers i always use a cake pick - that way nothing comes into contact with the actual cake and thus no contamination.

Perhaps you need to tell the customer that Gerberas have sappy stems - and drip.... thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif
Whether going into the cake - or just sitting amongst the tiers - it will mark your covered cake.
Also - consider getting them to sign a letter stating that you are not responsible for what happens after you hand the covered cake over to them - contamination/marks/taste...best to cover yourself and be safe rather than sorry.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

I guess I am just naive enough to have thought they would surely have the sense to insert the stems by methods you describe... I can't imagine anyone just "pushing" stems into a cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

Sometimes common sense isn't always so common -
I have seen it done and have seen the marks and stains left on a cake because of the sap from flowers.
Plus i see many a thread on here asking *is it alright to do it*

Bh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%