Making A Scrabble Cake

Decorating By Jaeger Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm by Relznik

Jaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to attempt a Scrabble board cake and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to make it look as realistic as possible? The cake will be a square covered in fondant and I was thinking about making some tiles out of white chocolate (yum!)

Any suggestions for the board itself? Maybe I could paint the colored squares and use edible markers or royal icing for some of the small details. What would be the best way to draw very straight lines to represent the game board itself?

I'm hoping to think of all my potential mistakes before I get started. icon_wink.gif TIA!!!

Cheryl

8 replies
BatterLover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterLover Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 9

Here's a sample that I saw on a baker's website but I'm afraid I don't have any particulars on how she managed the straight lines, etc.
LL

BatterLover Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 9

Okay, I've just found the baker's website for the scrabble cake above. Her name is Juanita Koo and her website is at www. sweetthings-toronto.blogspot.com. Perhaps she can provide you with further details. HTH.

BatterLover Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 9

Mmmm ... that link didn't work. Well, if you google Juanita Koo and Sweet Things you'll find her.

Jaeger Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:01am
post #5 of 9

Thanks BatterLover! I really like the little pouch for tiles on the cake board.

I've found a few photos of Scrabble boards. Now I just have to decide whether to draw the board on to the fondant or score the lines to make the grid pattern. Decisions!!! icon_smile.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:34am
post #6 of 9

Here's the one I did recently

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363571

To make it as realistic as possible, I did 225 fondant squares (as the board is 15 squares x 15 squares. I used coloured fondant for the double/treble word scores etc. I wrote on them with special food pen.

My cake is a 12" x 12" fruit cake.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

Jaeger Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Suzanne!! Your cake looks fantastic! I really like the look of the individually cut tiles for the board. Great idea - I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 9

Suzanne, your cake deserves notice. It's fabulous.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you.

Once I'd decided how I was going to do it, it wasn't difficult.. just time-consuming!

Suzanne x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%