Buttercream Roses

Decorating By mustang1964 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm by mellee

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:50am
post #1 of 7

How come my buttercream roses have rough edge on the pedals? I have never had this problem before. I am using indy debs frosting recipe. I thought maybe it was the tip but I have tried several different tips and this recipe is the same.

6 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:40am
post #2 of 7

i'v been told it's cose the consistency is too thick and might want to try adding some corn syrup to help the problem icon_smile.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 7

This is the second time I've seen reference to adding corn syrup to buttercream. Can anyone please tell me what the corn syrup does to the buttercream? Thanks.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 7

corn syrup helps with consistency. Also make sure you aren't filling your bag up too much, less than half. And if your squeezing so hard, your icing is too stiff. You should thin it out (with liquid, corn syrup etc).

hth icon_smile.gif

mellee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, cakes22, that does help. Thanks! icon_smile.gif How much corn syrup would you add to a batch of, say, Indydebi's buttercream? Her recipe uses 2 lb of powdered sugar if that makes a difference. Thank you for your help! icon_smile.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

That I don't know. I use serious_cakes buttercream and I think that is 1-3 tbsp of corn syrup. Maybe just try a little at a time.

mellee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks cakes22, you're the best! icon_smile.gif I think I'll try 1 tbs next time and see how it is. I already love the consistency of Indydebi's icing, but I'd like to see what the corn syrup will do. Certainly couldn't hurt. And if it makes it even creamier and smoother, I'm all for it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%