Gold Picture Frame

Decorating By sweetkisscakes Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm by mixinvixen

sweetkisscakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a gold antique looking picture frame about a 4x6 size. I want it to be free standing so it can sit on the cake. I was also going to use an edible image for the photo in the frame.

how do i do this? also will mmf harden enough?

7 replies
sugarshack Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:39am
post #2 of 8

i have never used mmf but gumpaste would work and then you can paint it gold

or u can use a choc mold and paint it but paint does not stick to choc as well.

cakeheart Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:14am
post #3 of 8

your idea sounds lovely!

I work with MM fondant very often and I dont think that it would be stable enough once it dried icon_sad.gif I would go with gumpaste. Your idea of a picture frame got me thinking about how i would go about doing one and i think i would use an antiquey looking frame around the house and clean it up well and use it as sort of a embossing/molding tool and press the gumpaste directly onto it (covering it with shortening first) then you could have a pretty pattern then spray with gold luster and after it dries paint a little vodka in the creveses then brush a little cocoa to give it the antique finnish you were going for icon_biggrin.gif

hope this helps spark up some ideas for you!

Rylan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:12am
post #4 of 8

I would also use gumpaste if I were you.

Lace molds would look nice to make frames. If you want a cleaner look, just go with simple lines (think of crown molding or base boards). Paint it with gold/silver (luster dust it, airbrush it, etc.) Get a damp cloth, get some black food gel coloring thinned with vodka, rub the cloth onto the paint and lightly rub it against the dry frame to give it an aged look.

Good luck.

sweetkisscakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 8

looks like i'm gonna have to go buy some gum paste....

for my roses on the cake could i do half mmf and half gumpaste?

bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 8

Definitely use gumpaste and they have antique gold luster dust. I made a frame for my daughters grad cake (in my pics) and used the gold lusterdust on it. The frame isnt very good because I was in a hurry but it served its purpose.

mixinvixen Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 8

i just did this, in my friends 40th birthday cake. i used gumpaste and mixed in a tbsp or so of tylose, just eyeing the measurements. i figured out the size of pic i wanted, then did the appropriate sized frame. i added a fancy support in the back, molding it into the shape i needed by making a cardboard support and back of the right size and then laying my gumpaste support on it...it dried the exact way i needed. if i did it over again, i would use and actual pic frame/support to dry it, thus not having to make a cardboard version.

btw: i did this 2 nights before delivery, and it worked perfectly. she still has it as a souvenir, and that's been a couple of months now.
LL

mixinvixen Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 8

i just did this, in my friends 40th birthday cake. i used gumpaste and mixed in a tbsp or so of tylose, just eyeing the measurements. i figured out the size of pic i wanted, then did the appropriate sized frame. i added a fancy support in the back, molding it into the shape i needed by making a cardboard support and back of the right size and then laying my gumpaste support on it...it dried the exact way i needed. if i did it over again, i would use and actual pic frame/support to dry it, thus not having to make a cardboard version.

btw: i did this 2 nights before delivery, and it worked perfectly. she still has it as a souvenir, and that's been a couple of months now.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%