Florida "garage Into Kitchen" Question

Business By katherinem Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm by katherinem

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 21

I'm not sure if anyone knows this answer but i know in Florida it says your kitchen must be separate from your living quarters. I've been talking to my husband and he said if i could get my license that way he could basically turn the garage into a bakery-style kitchen.

He said he would have walls put up/flooring/3 basin sink, oven, fridge, counters. but i don't know if we are even allowed to do this or not - no point in spending the money to remodel if you still can't get licensed this way though...
if anyone knows or has any idea please let me know!

20 replies
cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 21

yes you can(as per the state) but the door that leads into the house from the garage must be closed off. You can not have access to your house from your garage. You need to have a bathroom also.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL ZONING LAWS FIRST!!!

I tried to go this route state said yes, city said no. I wouldn't be able to get a city occupational license without zoning approval. no city license, no insurance, no good(atleast for me)

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:49am
post #3 of 21

where would we go to change out local zoning laws?
So we could just create a wall to cover the door that goes directly to the house?

We have a door that goes from the yard to the garage - would that be okay - we have to be able to get in there somehow.

cocorum21 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:38am
post #4 of 21

Yes you have to use the outside entrance for your garage.

You would have to check with your city about maybe getting a variance on the zoning. I did that once when I had a salon it was easier in that case because it was a matter of getting them to overlook the parking situation. My city now doesn't allow this type of business in residential areas so I was SOL. Just check with your zoning to see if they will approve you. The next city over there is a woman with a bakery in her guest house. Each city is different so you may not have the problem I had. Good luck!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 21

How how exciting for you! I am just as green as could be but happy for you. Make sure you get everything according to code. The right 3 sinks and floor covering and wall covering, ventilation, electric work, plumming. The door has to be walled off I would just cover it with dry wall because you never know if you really want that to be pemanent like conrete block if you don't have to. Check with your county for your house code for blocking off the garage/garage door permanently to and make sure that is Ok. Wow your own cake studio!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 21

Don't do a thing until you talk to HD, find about zoning laws, etc. You want to make sure that you're doing it right and not wasting loads of money!

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 21

I have never done anything like this before and I don't want to get too overexcited if i can't do it so i don't know how to locate my current zoning "people"

Where would i go to locate their contact info so i could call them?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinescakes

I have never done anything like this before and I don't want to get too overexcited if i can't do it so i don't know how to locate my current zoning "people"

Where would i go to locate their contact info so i could call them?

Does your city have a website? Even so, you want to talk to your building insepector. They will let you know what you need for this venture, good luck.

Mike

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 21

So where would i locate my building inspector?
Who do i contact for the correct info building inspector or zoning??

cocorum21 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinescakes

So where would i locate my building inspector?
Who do i contact for the correct info building inspector or zoning??

City Hall

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 21

I just called the department of Agriculture with that exact same question...they told me only if I'm not in a residential area. Most houses are so I'd look into that first. AGH! This is so darn frustrating!

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 21

I am still waiting to hear back from the zoning board but the FDOA is saying my garage must be completely detached from my house in order to use it. Can you believe it! I am not going to detach my garage from my house - that is ridiculous....the attachment he sent said nothing about this all it actually stated with the type of flooring/appliance/plumbing, etc.

This is very frustrating!

rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 21

When I just spoke to them, the issue wasn't the fact that my utility room was attached it was just my zoning issues

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 21

I live in Florida - where are you?

rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 21

Miami, FL. LOL, for a minute, I thought that you might be my friend Katherine. She was thinking of converting her garage, too. I can see from your cakes (which are very nice, BTW) that you aren't her. Where are you?

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 21

I'm in Orlando - Seminole County (Winter Park)

rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 21

Well, if you ever get it figured out, let me know. My aunt owns Kathi's Klowns (children's birthday partys mainly) in Lake Mary and I can ask her to spread the word if you are interested.

katherinem Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #18 of 21

I am keeping my fingers crossed and I will let you know.
Thank you!!

staramystar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staramystar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #19 of 21

katherinem-
So did you figure out if it's possible to convert any part of your house ( as long as it has a separate entrance) to your own bakery? I'm in orange county but I figured since I've been reading all of these laws in the hopes of doing the same in my house you might have a couple of suggestions for where I start here. Do you think it is possible to have a legit home based business?

Thanks- Amy

rharris524 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 21

From the research I did, yes it is possible...but it has to not have an entrances into living quarters and your house has to be zoned for commercial usage (this is what gets most people...or at least that is what got me)

katherinem Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #21 of 21

I contacted both seminole and orange county and they told me the same thing - that in residential areas you can not have any home based business (except for office type businesses) - that you would have to rent out a building for your own cake business!! How frustrating....how are you supposed to pay for a monthly lease when you are just starting up your own business - i hope florida passes a law soon about this...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%