How 'bout Those Websites?!

Business By yamber82 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm by ccr03

yamber82 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

i am about to start working on a website and need some inspiration. i was wondering if some of you guys would share yours? i'm too lazy to weed through profiles, lol icon_smile.gif

i'm also thinking about selling some cakes not necesarily decorated, just because they taste so darn good people keep asking for them. how can i incorporate that?

10 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 11

Insert here the speech about if you're legal or not and how that makes a difference on whether you put pricing on your website, etc. K?

Then.......

About Me page: Most sites have these and it should inspire the shopper to want to order a cake from you. It shouldn't be about YOU, but should be about you and cakes ... a fine line, I know.

Contact Us page: Phone, email, and at least the city or area that you service (i.e. "Serving the southern Philadelphia area"). My personal preference is to show the actual email address and not use one of those irritating "fill out this form" things.

Photos: Watch your backgrounds, be sure there is no clutter. Pics should be in focus. Careful with copyrighted characters.

I have a "Dessert Cakes" on my website, if you want to take a look at that for your undecorated cakes.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 11

You can check out mine if you want....and my web guy is great. haha.

Yeah I have an irritating form to fill out. LOL Only because I don't want my regular email address showing for spammers to find.

diane Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Insert here the speech about if you're legal or not and how that makes a difference on whether you put pricing on your website, etc. K?

Then.......

About Me page: Most sites have these and it should inspire the shopper to want to order a cake from you. It shouldn't be about YOU, but should be about you and cakes ... a fine line, I know.

Contact Us page: Phone, email, and at least the city or area that you service (i.e. "Serving the southern Philadelphia area"). My personal preference is to show the actual email address and not use one of those irritating "fill out this form" things.

Photos: Watch your backgrounds, be sure there is no clutter. Pics should be in focus. Careful with copyrighted characters.

I have a "Dessert Cakes" on my website, if you want to take a look at that for your undecorated cakes.

well said indydebi! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Only because I don't want my regular email address showing for spammers to find.

I know that's why many don't have that on there and I absolutely respect that. I actually meant to include that so thanks, kitagrl, for sharing that with everyone! But that's why I always explain that it's my personal preference. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Only because I don't want my regular email address showing for spammers to find.

I know that's why many don't have that on there and I absolutely respect that. I actually meant to include that so thanks, kitagrl, for sharing that with everyone! But that's why I always explain that it's my personal preference. thumbs_up.gif

I agree its alot easier that way....alot of people want to send me photos and can't on their first try since its the form....but its worth the effort I guess! I agree though when I'm visiting a website, I do like to find the email address to click on. thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #7 of 11

thanks for sharing guys! and no, home bakeries arn't leagal here (tx) so i won't be putting pricing on there. i am thinking more of a blog type, but i don't have time to update it. i just finished editing out the background in my pics. and indydebi, i really like that you had a cutting guide on your site. that is a great idea!!! i'm always afraid they're gonna cut the cake way too big and run or something.

i havn't really been doing it that long, and i do it mostly as a hobby, but i have had sooo many people want to pay me to make them a cake that it jsut kinda turned into a business i guess. i still just do for friends and fam mostly, but it's something i love to do and can do with a 9 month old.

yamber82 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 11

oh and i was going to mention, the reason i am thinking about a site is maiunly because i have a friend who speaks the binary and has been buggin me to let her make me a site. i think it is a good idea though.

ccr03 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 11

You're free to check mine out.

www.kreacioneskity.com

I try to have it all bilingual because that's my market (I still need to do the FAQ in Spanish).

Do you guys think it's important to have an "About You" section? I'm a bit on the fence about it. I kinda think it's cheesy, but then again I do like looking at a bigger company's 'about us' section. I just hate talking about myself.

indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Do you guys think it's important to have an "About You" section? I'm a bit on the fence about it. I kinda think it's cheesy, but then again I do like looking at a bigger company's 'about us' section. I just hate talking about myself.

I think it's one of those things that "everyone does so you should too".

I find myself more and more checking the About Us page (especially event planner websites .... I want to know if they are a REAL planner or a "oh I've been a bridesmaid 3 times so I know ALL about weddings!" type of person).

ccr03 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 11

Good point - debi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%