Cakes Not Rising?

Baking By mpetty Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm by mpetty

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 3

Hi all. I've made 2 cakes in my new KA Pro 600, but neither one rose the way they did in my Sunbeam, and the last one was half dough after almost an hour in the oven. The instructions say that cakes mix quicker in the KA, but it didn't seem to matter - the first cake I mixed the usual time, the second cake I mixed for only half the normal time. At this point, I'm ready to put the KA on the shelf until I need to make frosting.

Thanks.

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:27am
post #2 of 3

The proper mixing method on a stand mixer is a combination of time and speed.

Cutting your mixing time in half won't really help if the speed you selected for mixing cake batter was anything over low/med-low... (Unless you were making pound or angel food cakes.)

Overbeating the batter develops the gluten which adversely affects the texture.

Why not try running your old mixer at the normal speed you used (empty bowl) and find the corresponding speed on your new KA (empty bowl and blade attachment).

Also, you're using the blade attachment and not the whip for mixing the batter?

HTH

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 3

Yep,I'm definitely using the blade. Good suggestion on the speed, thanks! Believe it or not, the instruction manual for the Pro 600 says to beat cakes at #6, which I thought was way too fast. Not surprised that the cake I made last night only rose 1". Off to try your suggestion. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%