Wilton 3D Train Tin

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:37am by yummymummycakes

yummymummycakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 4

I was contacted last night about doing a 3d thomas the tank engine cake.

The couple actually wanted it in vanilla sponge to which I said I didnt think it would be firm enough to hold up.

So questions I would like some help with please.

Can I use the 3d train tin to make a thomas the tank engine or is it to different?

Could I get away with using this tin and doing it in vanilla sponge with buttercream and fondant?

If the tin is not suitable does anyone know of any good tutorials for making thomas the tank?

I use buttercream and fondant all the time on vanilla sponge, even tiered cakes but am not sure as this is a 3d.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

3 replies
mbelgard Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 4

I have made a Thomas with that pan. It isn't as exact as a sculpted train though because the shape isn't perfect.

I don't know about using sponge cake with it because I'm not sure exactly what texture you're talking. If it's like the cake mixes and standard scratch cakes we have in the US you should be able to use it so long as it's not a white cake.

ncox Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 4

Here is a link for a picture tutorial for a Thomas the Tank engine cake.

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

I have made a Thomas the Tank engine cake from the Wilton 3D train pan and it worked out fine for me. I don't have that pic posted because it was several years ago and done with the star tip (so very time consuming).

HTH and Good Luck!

yummymummycakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for that ladies. I might give it a go from the tutorial.

Lots of prayers will be needed for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%