I Hate My New Oven!!!!

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm by cylstrial

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 10

OKAY!! I talked finally talked my DH into buying me a new double oven. I was soo happy to get it... until now.. I HATE IT! EVERYTIME I try to bake cookies they burn. My tried and true cookies come out like flat burnt pancakes. I dont get it. I am soo totally bummed. I have been able to make cakes and other things without issue so that is the wierd part.
WHAT IS WRONG???
anyone know?
Thanks,
Katie

9 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 10

When mine was delivered it basically did the same thing. I called Maytag and the guy came out and adjusted it. He said sometimes when things were delivered or transferred they get knocked out of whack. Maybe that's what has happened with yours.
HTH
terri

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

ok, take a deep breath and back away from the oven...1st things 1st - did you check the oven temp with a thermometer? Are you placing the cookie sheets in the same place in the new oven that you did in the old oven? Are the settings electronic? It'll be okay. Just check the temp first.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #4 of 10

Sounds like the temperature is not calibrated correctly. I would contact where you bought it and see if they can send someone out to see if it can be corrected. Do this asap while it is under warranty.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 10

terri- funny mine is a maytag as well.

I am going to do a temp check on it. I just dont understand why everything but cookies bake just fine???? I want my old oven back!!!!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 10

Katie,
I didn't even try for cakes after burning cookies with mine. The guy came out and recalibrated it and ever since then it's been fine. But one time I panicked because I put it in "Sabbath" mode. I never knew you could put a stove "off" for 72 hours.
I really do love mine now that it's fixed.
terri

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

I know how you feel. My oven is new for me, but in reality it's older than me. Me and hubby moved to a smaller apartment to save money for our house (which by the way, we are moving into in September! soooo excited!) Anywho, the oven in this new place has no digital display, so I have no idea what temp the oven is actually set at since the dial doesn't seem to stay in the place I turn it to. Then, the cookies bake unevenly on the pan so I have to open the oven half way through cooking and turn the pan. Honestly, almost every batch of cookies I've baked, at least one pan turns out unusable. One batch I had to show to my husband. The outside was a nice golden brown. Picture perfect cookie, really. But then I broke it in half and there was raw dough inside. He just coddled me and said when we get our house, he'll buy me a new oven (this was before we found a place with a new oven). I tried baking a cake in there once and never did it again, it came out so dry. Good thing caking isn't a regular thing for me right now.

But on a more positive note, in the house we bought the owner had bought a new oven and fridge to sell the place. The oven is brand new and looks like it's never been used and the fridge is huge! I'm so excited to move in!!!!!

But back to your issue, yeah, I would call the maytag guy. It shouldn't be burning your cookies like that.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 10

A new house is soo exciting!!!

I called maytag but I have to wait a week for the repairman!

UGGHHH
Thanks everyone for your rsponses

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 10

icon_evil.gif I would like to toss my Maytag oven off a cliff! We bought a convection Maytag oven 2 years ago...We had so many problems. My cookies turned out just like yours flat. The cakes would bake one day and then the next day not hardly bake at all? We had their repairman here 6-8 times and they still couldn't find the problem...we did not buy the extended warranty, but they did extend ours after the fan stopped at 6 months. Long story short...we have put $300+( original repair call $140 + replacement fee which we would have had to pay even with the extended warranty) into getting the oven replaced by Maytag. They would only do the same model. This one bakes better, but not like it should. We have done the calibration up and down as we did with the other one and it still doesn't bake well. I wish I could afford to get a different brand. Sorry, thanks for letting me vent I hope yours only needs calibration? Good Luck!

Sue

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 10

That's a bummer! I hope that you get it figured out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%