Gluten Free Box Cake...

Decorating By valstupendo Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm by kweenofengland

valstupendo Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake to do this week for a friend, and she bought a store bought gluten free cake mix for me to use because her daughter is allergic, but I'm wondering about how the mix will rise? Anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions on making it light and fluffy and rise better? I will probably be using 2 8" round pans, nothing fancy or too big, but I just want to make sure it tates great and is fluffy... you know. I've never used this one before and I'm a little nervous! icon_smile.gif
Any help would be great! Thanks guys.

3 replies
revel Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:14am
post #2 of 4

I have used these! They don't rise very high and bake with a flat top which is nice for stacking. There is alot of eggs in the batter i could really smell it when baking. Everyone loved the cake. It really tasted much better than i ever thought it would. Don't be afraid!

CanadianCakin Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

My brother is also allergic so everything he is going to eat I make gluten free.
I used the box stuff until I found a flour substitute, here on CC, that can be used in place in any recipe.
The box stuff does not rise very well and you have to be careful with the temp where you are baking if it's to chilly when you pull the cake out of the oven they will collapse in the center. The warmer the temp outside the oven the better! No matter what you do Gluten free cakes will not be as moist and fluffy as regular, ut they can still be very good. Some of the ones I have done nobody could tell the difference some have had the tall-tale gluten free graininess!
The last box, (well it was a bag!) recipe I did called for applesauce in the batter and it turned out quite moist.

Here is the link to the flour substitute for future reference (thanks to dinas!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7158-Gluten-Free-Flour-Substitute.html

HTH!!!

kweenofengland Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 4

I am supposed to be making a gluten free cake in a few weeks. Where do you find the gluten free cake mix? At any old grocery store?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%