Using High Ratio Shortening Vs. Crisco In Bc Icing

Baking By Bev882 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 7:15am by mpetty

Bev882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev882 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 8

Looking for feedback on your experience using something I recently read about called "high ratio shortening. " Based on your experience, I want to know the pros & cons of using this product vs. Crisco when making buttercream icing.

7 replies
Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 8

I have yet to try hi ratio shortening because it is not easily accesible in my area so I just use Crisco. I have used Crisco for all the recipes here that call for hi ratio and it works fine but I would really love to know the difference also.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 8

I have used Criso in Indydebi's, seriouscakes and Sugarshack's recipes and have had no trouble at all with the crusting or any other problems. The hi-ratio shortening isn't available in my area, and I can buy very large cans of Crisco at Sam's. Much more convenient and cheaper than hi-ratio shortening.

farfalla6ella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farfalla6ella Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 8

I've used both and did not notice a huge difference. I've tried numerous BC recipes and I've found that the Wilton's is the best. It's a veggie shortening based recipes and calls for water or milk, but I always try to use whole milk or even half and half. They say Crisco is no good because its missing trans fat, but I figure I'm adding some of that fat back with the whole milk or half and half. I've also heard that using Wal-Mart's brand of Veg Shortening is better because it has the trans fat in it still. You might want to try that out. But to answer your question, if its more convenient for you, stick to the Crisco. BTW, always sift your powdered sugar before adding it to the shortening mixture....it come out so much more smooth!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 8

i have used crisco and high ratio shortening and i do notice a difference in the texture. my bc w/ high ratio shortening comes out smoother. i do like both, depending on the weather. i wouldn't use high ratio shortening for a cake that will be out doors. it tends to melt quicker. when i use crisco, i add whole milk, but with high ratio shortening i only use water. icon_wink.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:20am
post #6 of 8

I just tried Hi Ratio tonight for the first time. Used it in the same recipe I always use (Buttercream Dream) and it was sooooo much smoother and almost had a different taste.... better.
I have made this recipe with crisco, Wal_Mart brand, and Hi Ratio. The Hi Ratio and walMart brand both were smoother and lighter than Crisco

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:41am
post #7 of 8

I have yet to try hi ratio but I hear it works wonders for your buttercream. I've ordered some and am waiting for its arrival. I hope it helps with smoothness because I battle with buttercream constantly. I get too much air no matter what technique I use

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #8 of 8

I've recently tried hi-ratio. I found the consistency is much smoother - I had a much easier time making roses with it. I also noticed a definite decrease in the greasy aftertaste; I can still detect a slight sensation of greasiness, it's a fraction of what I could taste with Crisco.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%