Anyone Who Has Used Ck Products High Ratio Shortening!!!!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm by newmansmom2004

JCE62108 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 15

I just bought some today. I am so upsett I am just beside myself. Im like an hour and a half from the only cake decorating supply store in the area. After months of wanting to go, I finally sucked it up and took the drive. I bought a few things including this CK brand of high ratio shortening.

When I got home I opened it up, the seal opened pretty easily, but I didnt think much of that, but inside the shortening looked like it was scooped out in several places with a spoon! If you have used this shortening before, does it usually look smooth on the top like a new container of crisco, or is it lumpy? I just have to know if Im over-reacting or not. Im soooo angry right now. I swear it looks like spoon scoops all over the top.

Its a 3 hour round trip for me to go there again. I am so angry I need someone to tell me that is how its supposed to look so I can calm down.

14 replies
Toptier Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 15

That's what it's supposed to look like...it looks whipped and airy. It's definitely not smooth on top like a new container of crisco, which is much denser.

HTH

kbgieger Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 15

I've had it shipped to me before since I only have Michael's and Hobby Lobby around me. I think what happens is the store probably buys it in bulk, and then divides it up for sale in smaller amounts (by weight, I'm guessing).

I'm currently getting Sweetex in 4 lb tubs online, and I think it's done the same way. I wouldn't let it bother me too much.

You can always weigh the container to make sure you're getting the amount you've paid for!

HTH,
Karen

JCE62108 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 15

So this is normal?
LL
LL

Amy729 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 15

yes, they do divide it up from large bulk containers into smaller ones for sale. if you weigh it and it is the right weight, I wouldn't worry.

JCE62108 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 15

Ok now I feel stupid. lol. I have never used this before, all Ive used it crisco and its always smooth on the top like it was poured that way out of a machine. Ive never bought something that had scoops taken out but you know maybe it was too much and they took some out to make it the correct weight. I had no idea that they would divid the stuff up but they did ask me if I wanted 50 lbs or 3 lbs. lol. So I guess that's what they do. Oh man Im such a ditz. I knew I should have talked to you guys BEFORE i freaked out. icon_sad.gif

farfalla6ella Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 15

I agree! I bought this shortening to and I thought it was strange that the top came off so easy and it looked similar to your pictures. I called the store back and they explained that they get it in bulk and divide it out and not to mention, its a lot more airy than crisco like everyone else has said. DON'T WORRY! Enjoy your smoother BC with your hiratio shortening!

chilz822 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #8 of 15

I just ordered some and opened it tonight for the first time and mine looked like that too, I figured it was packaged from a bigger amount.

I gotta tell you though, I've never used true hi ratio and after tonight, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to anything else! Smooooooth and yummy!

JCE62108 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #9 of 15

do you use the same amount for your recipes since its not as dense?

BREN28 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15

i was wondering the same thing. would you use the same amount of high ratio shortening as you would reg. shortening for buttercream recipe? just bought some also,so im glad i read this thread,because i haven't opened mine yet,and i probably would have thought the same thing about it looking like its been opened and used already. icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 15

can anyone list the ingredients? Does it have animal fats in it?

JCE62108 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 15

Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottenseed oils with pg mono emulsifier added. Sounds Delicious. icon_smile.gif

dutchy1971 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottenseed oils with pg mono emulsifier added. Sounds Delicious. icon_smile.gif

tastes Yummy too tapedshut.gif I thought I had a bit of frosting on my finger, and yes did the quick lick and YUK not b/c at all just a big lump of sweetex, that'll teach me for licking my finger lol..... never again.

Mine also looks like that when I buy it in the 3lb tubs

JCE62108 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 15

LOL Ive done that.

newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #15 of 15

Yup - that's how my hi-ratio shortening looks that I buy from a cake supply shop. They buy it in 50 lb. containers and divide it up so I know they scoop it into the container I purchase and I'm ok with that.

I use it in exact same ratio as any other shortening and have never had a problem. In fact, I love this stuff so much because it makes a much fluffier (and whiter) icing without the greasy mouth feel. I'll never use Crisco for icing again - I'm a hi-ratio convert! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%