Newbie Mmf Question

Decorating By amsturgeon Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm by bakingatthebeach

amsturgeon Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 4

can anyone tell me ... is mmf tasty - as the fondant that I buy tastes disgusting and I don't know why anyone would want to eat a cake that is covered in it.

I would like to attempt a fondant covered cake, but think it's a waste if it tastes horrible. Does MMF taste better? I recently had a cake that was covered in fondant at a party and it tasted like chocolate...is it possible it is flavoured mmf?

Any answers would help!

Thanks,
Newbie Caker.

3 replies
rharris524 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 4

MMF more or less just tastes like marshmallows...so if you like them, you'll likely like the MMF, too. As for making it chocolate, add cocoa powder (the amount depends on your recipe size and how chocolatey you'd like it to be). Just be sure to subtract powdered sugar from the recipe in the amount of cocoa powder you add (so the dry ingredient amount remains the same)

mgwebb68 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 4

Yep, if you like marshmallows you will like MMF. I find it a little hard to work with and messy to make. I just tried MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) for the first time and it was simple to make, less messy and I was able to use my kitchenaid. Her recipe also gives you alternates for flavoring options. It turned out beautifully. I haven't rolled it out and put it on my cake, but since it can sit, I figured I would make it early as a trial to see how it would work. I can't offer any info yet on using it, but so far the process of making it and the flavor have been wonderful.

I think for most people it is a texture issue. No matter the recipe, fondant is chewy and definitely has a different mouth feel than BC. Some like it some don't. My friend who doesn't like fondant tried the MFF and she actually like this one.

bakingatthebeach Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

I use Lisa's best MMF recipe. I also use my kitchen aid which makes it alot easier. The taste is alot better than regular fondant. At the end, when I knead it at the end, I add little shakes of powdered sugar until it is the consistency of play dough. If I only add the amount the recipe calls for, its too sticky and hard to work with. So I add whats called for to the kitchen aid and then eyeball it during kneading to decide if its a good consistency and dough like for my liking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%