Need Some Teething Tips Please!!!!!!

Lounge By lecrn Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:37am by dldbrou

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 30

I'm a 1st time mom of a 5 month old that's already teething. He's already cut 2 bottom teeth & I think he's working on more. I've tried teething rings, cold wash clothes, finger massage, Tylenol, & baby Oragel. Nothing seems to provide any relief. For the past 2 nights, it's taken over an hr to get him to go to sleep. Today, the crying started early (230pm) & it took over an hr to get him to finally fall asleep. He's been such an easy baby until now. I can usually lay him in his crib for naptime/bedtime & he goes to sleep no problem. I called the doctor today, and the nurse told me to do the same things that I'm doing with the exception of the Oragel. She said they didn't recommend it until 6 months. She said that if the crying/fussiness didn't get better in a wk to bring him in to be examined. I hate to think that he's in so much pain, & I can't seem to give him any comfort. Does anyone have any further advice?

29 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 30

Ok I know this sound crazy but it worked wonders when my kids were teething and I have passed it down to my kids that use it on my grandkids.

Claussen Chill Dill. Whole ones. They can't bite off pieces and the cold soothes their sore gums.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 30

Ask your doctor if he/she approves a switch to Motrin, and ask for the proper dose for your baby's size. If approved by doc, when giving the Motrin, physically rub some of the dose into the swollen gums. This works very well for my baby girl, and worked for her two older brothers, all three of whom started cutting their teeth at two months old. The switch to Motrin was recommended to me by my doctor when nothing else helped.

On Orajel: Have you ever rubbed some of that into your own gums? I tried it when my first was teething to see what was going to happen.....it was the burning-est, stinging-est thing I've ever felt, the "numbing" effect only lasted about one minute, and I've never ever put it near one of my kids since. Just my personal experience.

And good luck and God Bless! Teething is one of the roughest things for Mamas and babies, it seems to me!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 30

Our favorite pharmacist suggested Hyland's teething tablets http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php It was the only time I haven't taken her advice, because I wasn't comfortable with some of the ingredients, but she said they worked wonders for her kids.

My oldest started teething at 4 weeks old, and my youngest at 6 weeks. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but after a while they get used to the pain and they aren't as fussy. My oldest liked to sleep in her swing when the teething pain was the worst (this was before battery swings, have you ever tried to wind a swing quietly icon_biggrin.gif ). My younger daughter loved to chew on rubbery things while she was teething. Unlike my older one, the little one had the ability to hold things up to her mouth and chomp them from birth. Her favorite thing to chew was a little blanket that had rubbery corners that each had different textures. I had to buy two of them because it would get soaked with drool after a while and need to be switched out.

Also, you might try hanging a mirror on the side of the crib...the plastic, baby safe ones that play music. My oldest loved to play with her mirror while she was falling asleep. As they get a little older, they get bored more easily and sometimes they cry when they're bored. She never wanted to go right to sleep once she got to six months...she'd lay in the crib and babble. We thought it was adorable that she'd always sleep with her hand on the mirror.

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #5 of 30

[quote="Shelle_75"]Ask your doctor if he/she approves a switch to Motrin, and ask for the proper dose for your baby's size. If approved by doc, when giving the Motrin, physically rub some of the dose into the swollen gums. This works very well for my baby girl, and worked for her two older brothers, all three of whom started cutting their teeth at two months old. The switch to Motrin was recommended to me by my doctor when nothing else helped.

The nurse said that he was too young for Motrinicon_sad.gif

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 30

[quote="Shelle_75"]Ask your doctor if he/she approves a switch to
On Orajel: Have you ever rubbed some of that into your own gums? I tried it when my first was teething to see what was going to happen.....it was the burning-est, stinging-est thing I've ever felt, the "numbing" effect only lasted about one minute, and I've never ever put it near one of my kids since. Just my personal experience.

No, but my husband put some on the tip of his tongue (HA- HA). He said that it just numbed it quickly and the sensation was gone pretty quick as well.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

This must vary from doc to doc. Ours had us give our babies Motrin as early as their two month shots, just a dose that was appropriate for their weight. Of course, our kids are all bigger than average, so that may also have something to do with it.

You can do the rubbing into the gums thing with Tylenol, too, just use some from the dose you're about to give, so you're not over-dosing.

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

Quote:

This must vary from doc to doc. Ours had us give our babies Motrin as early as their two month shots, just a dose that was appropriate for their weight. Of course, our kids are all bigger than average, so that may also have something to do with it.

I'm sure that it does. He weighs about 14lbs now. He's only been in the 7% of his age group.

You can do the rubbing into the gums thing with Tylenol, too, just use some from the dose you're about to give, so you're not over-dosing.

I may try that. THX.
[/b]

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 30

For decades my mom has used "Humphries" I think that is the spelling of it. It comes in a white and blue bottle and they are little pellets. You put them in a tsp of water and let them dissolve and give it to baby. It works wonders. It worked with both my children. I have her get me a bottle every time I'm pregnant because I know what is coming. I will check the exact spelling for you tomorrow. But it was a life saver and I think it may be natural.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:34am
post #10 of 30

You're doing the right things. When my kids teethed (my 18 month old is getting a couple new teeth right now, as a matter of fact), I had the same problems. The would wake up in the night and cry for an hour or more. I would dose them up with tylenol (and definitely do it by weight, not age) and if they were still fussy, rub on some orajel, which they hated BUT that would be enough for them to get to sleep. I read somewhere that lying down makes more pressure in their heads (blood pressure I suppose) which makes their gums hurt more, which is why teething is worse at night.

Anyway, best wishes, and, as with most of these baby problems, remember THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:30am
post #11 of 30

I tried all those things too and other natural remedies, but the thing that worked best for my son was Hylands Teething Formula. They worked VERY quickly to settle and soothe him. I've been using them for about 7 months now, they are miracles in a bottle! He has no ill-effects taking them. They are especially useful at night, but in the day another thing he loved/loves is crushed ice cubes in a fruit mesh feeder. He would happily suck away on it. The novelty factor as well as the relief from the ice is great thumbs_up.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:52am
post #12 of 30

frozen bagels or frozen faceclothes. Both my kids gnawed on them when they were teething.

thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:14pm
post #13 of 30

Stick your finger in a bottle of whiskey, then rub on teeth. Yeah yeah I know, and don't say it LOLOL. I'm willing to bet most everyone here over the age of thirty was teethed that way.

Mike

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:15pm
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Stick your finger in a bottle of whiskey, then rub on teeth. Yeah yeah I know, and don't say it LOLOL. I'm willing to bet most everyone here over the age of thirty was teethed that way.

Mike

LOL!! My mom used to put a little brandy in my bottle at night so I would sleep thru. hmmmmmmmm, that may explain a few things..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

I tried all those things too and other natural remedies, but the thing that worked best for my son was Hylands Teething Formula. They worked VERY quickly to settle and soothe him. I've been using them for about 7 months now, they are miracles in a bottle! He has no ill-effects taking them. They are especially useful at night, but in the day another thing he loved/loves is crushed ice cubes in a fruit mesh feeder. He would happily suck away on it. The novelty factor as well as the relief from the ice is great thumbs_up.gif

Is Hylands Teething Formula a prescription or OTC?
I've got one of those mesh feeders. I may try that today. THX

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

I was just wondering when this response would come (ha-ha). I don't think I had this remedy as a baby, but if I did, I know my parents wouldn't admit to it.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 30

popsicles always worked for me. (5 kids) Good luck! I feel your pain!

lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 30

BTW, I read that that the APA does not recommend the use of Motrin in infants younger than 6mons. bc it can be a stomach irritant. It could lead to gastric ulcerations. I also read that it can mask other problems not related to teething bc of its anti-inflammatory properties. I probably won't take a chance using the Motrin just yet.

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

Is Hylands Teething Formula a prescription or OTC?
I've got one of those mesh feeders. I may try that today. THX

It is a homeopathic formula available OTC. I was a bit doubtful about it working, but it had on the box "100% money back guarantee" so to offer that it MUST be good and it really is! thumbs_up.gif

Hope the mesh feeder helps too - my first baby teethed with NO problems at all but my second...OH BOY! He is a screaming wreck each time a toothie works its way through his gum thumbsdown.gif

sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #20 of 30

For my son I stuck an ice cube in a washcloth and tied it up and let him chew on that. The super cold and rough feel worked like a charm for him.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #21 of 30

Mike,
My mom used to use Apple Brandy.....*hic* When we were toddlers she said she'd pour a few teaspoons in a shot glass and we'd dip our fingers in and rub it on our own gums, then sip, while she read to us in the rocking chair!
Shoot...somebody would call the Child Abuse Hotline now!

Jodie

4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #22 of 30

Call me crazy, but have you ever heard of taking a boiled chicken leg bone and freezing it in the freezer. Cover with a frozen washcloth and tie it up. Then let the baby chomp away. My daughter is cutting 4 teeth right now and it is a sanity as well as a life saver. I learned this little trick from my 101 great grandmother. She is still in her right mind or I would have never tried it. Hope this helps and Good luck.

lecrn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rays2hunny_bunnies2

Call me crazy, but have you ever heard of taking a boiled chicken leg bone and freezing it in the freezer. Cover with a frozen washcloth and tie it up. Then let the baby chomp away. My daughter is cutting 4 teeth right now and it is a sanity as well as a life saver. I learned this little trick from my 101 great grandmother. She is still in her right mind or I would have never tried it. Hope this helps and Good luck.

No, I can honestly say that I've never heard that one.
The problem is, I can't seem to get him to "get" holding something & putting it in his mouth (if that makes sense). He'd rather chew on his fingers. Yesterday I cut a cloth diaper into some squares & placed them in the freezer a while. I draped one over his hand like a mitt. He put it in his mouth for a little while, then threw it down.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #24 of 30

I used Hyland's teething tablets. They worked really well! My daughter liked them so much that just showing her the bottle would get her to calm down before I gave them to her. On the really bad nights, we'd do 2 teething tablets and tylenol, and that helped a lot.

lecrn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

I used Hyland's teething tablets. They worked really well! My daughter liked them so much that just showing her the bottle would get her to calm down before I gave them to her. On the really bad nights, we'd do 2 teething tablets and tylenol, and that helped a lot.

Where do you get them? We had a pretty good day today, so I'm hoping he'll have a break for a while. But I'd like to know for future notice.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #26 of 30

Walmart, Walgreens, Target, grocery stores, etc. Anywhere that sells baby stuff should have them. They are usually with the diaper rash cream, saline drops for noses, stuff like that. To me, they are on the pricey side, but well worth it! You can start with just 1 tablet at the beginning and see how he takes it. We started with 1, and when it seemed bad, we'd give 2. You just let them dissolve under his tongue, which doesn't take long at all.

Glad he's feeling better. I used the teething tablets until my daughter was about 18 months old. I had a bottle in the diaper bag, one in her room, and one in the living room. I never wanted them to be too far out of reach! icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #27 of 30

Just make sure it is not an ear infection along with teething. When I had my daycare, there was a little girl that was teething and they did not bring her in to a doctor to check her out. After a couple of weeks, I noticed her wrist was swollen and pointed it out to her mother. She took her to the doctors and it turned out to be an ear infection that traveled through her blood system and located in her wrist. She had to be hospitalized.

Now I know that is the extreme, but I hope you can rule out ear infection that mimics teething.

One thing that my son use to teeth on was mini corn on the cob ears. He would knaw on a cob for a very long time and loved it. The ear did not necessarily have corn on it, I would cut the corn off and give him the cob.

Let her also have those popsicles in the plastic bag and just don't open the bag. You can then refreeze the popsicle. It is just the right size for her to hold.

dldbrou Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #28 of 30

Double post. Sorry

lecrn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #29 of 30

[quote="dldbrou"]Just make sure it is not an ear infection along with teething. When I had my daycare, there was a little girl that was teething and they did not bring her in to a doctor to check her out. After a couple of weeks, I noticed her wrist was swollen and pointed it out to her mother. She took her to the doctors and it turned out to be an ear infection that traveled through her blood system and located in her wrist. She had to be hospitalized.

I thought of that, but it's obvious that he has 2 new bottom teeth now. I've also been keeping a check on his temp. He hasn't been running a fever. The nurse said if the fussiness persisted past about a week, to bring him in. He seems to be doing a lot better now. He's a lot less fussy.
How in the world would you know if he had an ear infection? Do they run a fever with it? He hasn't been pulling on his ears, but he may be too young to do that.

dldbrou Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #30 of 30

Usually when they are trying to lie down their ears bother them more. Yes they can run fever, but not always. Teething can mimic earaches because of the throbbing in theirs is similar pain to the throbbing of the gums.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%