Modeling Chcolate Question

Decorating By macciacae Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 4:23am by kansaswolf

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question about modeling chocolate.

I have never worked with it yet, but I need to make a fisherman and the fishing boat, how long in advance can I make them?

or would fondant work better to model? And if I did Fondant how far in advance can I make them?

I have a little bit of experience with fondant, but I have never modeled.

Thanks for your time, any help will help!!!

Ashley

3 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 4

With either one, you can make them far ahead of time, so that's not really an issue. A couple weeks is no problem, and probably longer. I really like modeling with chocolate, but the warmth from your hands will start making it too soft to work with, so you can't be messing around with it for long. You have to be relatively quick and just get it done. Also, you just have to get the pieces stuck together, I don't think you can use sugar glue with chocolate...

With fondant, you won't have the issue of it melting, so for a newbie that might be the best bet. You just have to make sure it doesn't completely dry out before you get the pieces stuck together with sugar glue.

In summary, either one would be fine, but I think fondant might be easier to start with! Good luck either way! Maybe you'll get some more opinions too, since I'm just one person... icon_biggrin.gif

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, I think I might just stick with the Fondant, because I know I won't be fast with it!! The cake is due in 3 weeks, so I would be fine making the models now?

Thanks for the post!!!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #4 of 4

You should be fine just making the models now, yes! They will dry somewhat hard, so likely no one will want to eat them. Though the level of hardness will depend on what kind of fondant you use, I suppose! Regardless, I think they would still be technically "edible", though maybe not "palatable"... icon_biggrin.gif Good luck with your models!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%