Help - I Baked My Wasc Too Long!

Decorating By 2SchnauzerLady Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm by 2SchnauzerLady

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 4

I need help with a chocolate WASC (macsmom recipe). I used flower nails for the first time since I was baking a 1/2 sheet cake. I overestimated how long to bake it and it pulled away from the sides of the pan a bit and my toothpick was very clean icon_cry.gif . I'm afraid it's too dry. I wrapped it in Saran wrap and foil while still hot and put it in the freezer. I need to take it out of the freezer tomorrow morning. What can I do to increase the moisture of the cake when it thaws?

3 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 4

Trim the edges and brush with simple syrup. Someone with more experience may come up with something better. HTH

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

I've learned on CC that you can brush a simple syrup over your layers and that will help with flavour and moisture issues. You can even add some flavour to the simple syrup like extracts or vanilla. Simple syrup is one part each of sugar and water boiled together for a few minutes. I'm sure your cake will be ok. Hope that helps!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help Stephi1 and Honeychild. I just had no idea how fast it would bake with the flower nails in it, using them was a first for me! This is also my first chocolate WASC. I plan to cut it in half, stack the 2 pieces with ganache filling and carve it into a turtle shape, and I think I may have to use RKT to shape the head if what I trim off is too dry, although the dry cake should work well for cake balls! I might add coffee to the syrup!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%