Fake Cake

Decorating By Flintstone691961 Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 3:04pm by jensthemom

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a Fake cake for a wedding and was going to frost it with royal icing, the top layer is buttercream and real cake. Is there any way to add luster to the royal icing. I'm afraid that the layers won't match. Thanks.

8 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 9

Is it non-crusting BC? Will it be shiny? IF it crusts then it will have a flat finish much like the RI. If the BC will be shiny then I see what you mean! icon_smile.gif Could you brush it with piping gel? Not sure - maybe someone will have a better idea!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 9

why cant you just use bc on the dummy layer?
i think the chances of getting royal to look the same as bc is pretty thin, especially if your bc uses butter and isnt actually white.
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

why cant you just use bc on the dummy layer?

my question, too. I use BC for everything, even my dummy cakes. I never use royal for anything.

Flintstone691961 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 9

I have to travel about 3 hours with it and wasn't sure how the buttercream would travel if it would crack or anything.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 9

im not a bc persn really, but id be inclined to think that as long as its on a solid, and level base, it would be fine...
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 9

it may differ from recipe to recipe, but when I put BC on a styro, it turns concrete hard. I can drive over a railroad track in a 4-WD going 75 miles per hour and that icing isn't going to do ANYTHING on that styro.

I love it at bridal shows and I tell kids, "Sure!! You can touch 'em! Go ahead!" because most displays have big signs that say "DON'T TOUCH OR DIE!!!" icon_lol.gif

Flintstone691961 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 9

thank you all for your answers

jensthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensthemom Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 9

Indydebi - Can you share your bc recipe that hardens???  I need it for a dummy this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%