1St Paid Wedding Cake...i'm Sweating....

Decorating By 1of5wives Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:05am by Kenzy

1of5wives Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, I have my first "paying" wedding cake this weekend and I am sweating big time.. I am doing 14,10,6. I was planning on using Wilton separtor plates with the hidden columns.. The client insists on picking the cake up on Friday evening. #1 Will the colums and plates stop it from sliding around if the driver is not too careful... and #2 doing the torting, filling and fondant on thurs and piping on friday will the cake be ok for Sat wedding.... It is freezing here right now so heat should not be a problem..if anyone has an opion I would love to hear. icon_lol.gif

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 9

If the client insists on picking up, you have absolutely no guarantees about it being in one piece whatsoever when i arrives. I mean, of course you would assemle as normal, but man....I insist on delivering, no ifs and or buts about it.

disubu Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

Jamie is right! If the customer wants to pick up the cake, it is not your concern whether it arrives in one piece. However, I know you would still be worried (I would too!)
Question: How is this post made on June 9th when today is the 8th? Just wondering...

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 9

disubu, the time on here is never right, it's always a day ahead...I think it accounts for overseas users or something.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 9

See...my post shows as being made at 10:22 pm. It's only 2:20 my time. icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with above, if they want to pick up, you tell them that they need to drive slow, no quick stops or starts or turns, and it is their responsibility when they take it. As far as the time thing, in your profile, there is a time zone button to change what time zone you are in if you want to change it.

brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 9

just have something for them to sign:
- that they are happy with the cake upon collection.
-that they accept all responsibility for it once it is out your shop.
- that they have been advised to drive slowly and carefully, and to lay the cake on a flat level surface. (ideally, you told them this before they arrive! and offered delivery too)

sarahcupcake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #8 of 9

I try to deliver when possible as well but I always put "instructions" on the box - keep level, hold carefully during turns, drive carefully, etc.... I guess it's just the Momma in me trying to keep my baby safe!

Kenzy Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 9

"Personally" I'm new to the cake addiction and have never been paid for one ~ But on the other hand I have been a business owner for 9+ yrs and I absolutely agree w/ the above.....I would have them sign something and provide driving instructions as well. Good Luck I can't wait to see the outcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%