Question On Black 50/50 Drape/swag

Decorating By STRAWBERRY1390 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm by bakingatthebeach

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello fellow cakers,

I am doing a cake for this weekend and I have been killing myself with the drape. It is going to be a black drape and I know that I am going to use ready made satin ice black fondant, now my problem is the gumpaste part. I can't find black paste (i don't even think they make black paste) If i use white I have this feeling that it wil fade the black of the my fondant. What is the best way to go about this. Everytime I try to color something black it never NEVER happens I get all funky browns..lol.
Will just tinting the gumpaste as dark as i can get it help? Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Wish me good luck icon_biggrin.gif and happy caking,
Stacy

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 6

Just mix some tylose powder into your black fondant and PRESTO! Black gumpaste. icon_smile.gif Half a teaspoon per pound should do the trick.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 6

THANK YOU!!! I never would have thought of that.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 6

Its easy to color gumpaste black. The graduation cap on the grad cake in my pic is gumpaste, didnt have to use tons of color either.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

Its easy to color gumpaste black. The graduation cap on the grad cake in my pic is gumpaste, didnt have to use tons of color either.

Hi would you mind much in telling me how you got it so black. Which brand of color did you use and did you use many different colors first then add black, like I said in the original post I never get black. So any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Stacy

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 6

I used wilton black. I just kept adding and massaging. You can also add a little cocoa powder to your gumpaste to make it brown then add the black and that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%