Ri - How Long In Fridge & Painting On It?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

How long does RI stay good for in the fridge? This is for accents on gp that will not be eaten. I had some i made last weekend - it had separated a little and i mixed it back up and it piped fine.

However, i tried to paint on it w/ lustre dust & a little vodka and it kind of ate into it... Not sure if the RI was bad or maybe you can't paint on RI w/ vodka? I could swear I've seen them do it on Food Network Challenges.

5 replies
chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 6

I dont know for sure but i would think any liquid would make RI get soft. I dont think you can paint it. I might be wrong. I would like to know.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

I have painted on RI, but the "paint" must be almost dry. I used luster dust and a drop of alcohol, it was more of a paste than a paint. Also the RI must be completely dry before you attempt to paint it.
HTH

beachcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! Maybe i had too much alcohol. it was paint consistency. The RI had dried 24 hrs, but it ate into it, leaving pock marks. That's why i wondered if i should've used fresh RI or if it was the alchool! icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 6

it sounds as if it was too wet. Try to get it more of a paste consistency. I have used "older" RI before and it was fine.

beachcakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 6

Good to know - thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%