Happy Cake Stories???

Business By Mylittleflutterby Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 4:24am by Texas_Rose

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 14

I have noticed a lot of Bridezilla stories lately and I know these encounters are a minority, but as a person just starting out and hoping to get into wedding and more elaborate cakes in the future I thought maybe some of you would like to or be willing to share some happy cake stories so all of us newbies aren't too scared off lol

Thanks!

13 replies
mdonna01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdonna01 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

I'm a newbie too. I have one Bridzilla story, and one great story.

The very first wedding cake I made was for my little sister's wedding in March. She and her husband paid for the whole thing themselves and I knew they didn't have much money, so I volunteered to make the cake. I had to travel 5 hours to where they were having the wedding, so I didn't want to make the cake and travel with it. The grooms mother offered me her kitchen so that is where I made the cake. My sister kept me company and helped me a little bit. I baked the cakes the night before the wedding and I also made the RKT (which I used for 2 of the layers). Then the next day while everyone was busy setting up for the reception I rounded up a couple of family members and we carried the cake over to the place the reception was being held. I assembled the cake onsight and when the bride came in and saw it, I thought she was going to cry. She said it was the best cake that anyone could ever ask for. It all went so smoothly. It was awesome.

There now, I hope that gets you motivated. It was so much fun making her cake. (the picture of that cake is in my file, it's the white and black 4 tiered cake with silk flowers)

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 14

As one who has a bridezilla post, I can tell you that most of my customers are fabulous.

Just this weekend, I had one cake on Friday and two on Saturday. The bride was there for delivery on Friday and almost cried because she loved the cake so much. She even hugged me. Her mom, who was kind of picky, was just over the moon and showing everyone how great it was.

On Saturday, I did a Dr Seuss wedding cake similar to SeattleCakes (she did a much better job though, but I'll post the pic soon). The bride actually called as soon as she got to the hall to tell me how much she loved the cake and how perfect it was!

The other saturday cake had the sister drop off the cake plate and she just gushed about how much the bride loved it, it looked great and there wasn't any cake left even though they ordered a little extra cake.

Most brides are absolutely lovely to deal with. The other ones fall into the category of "Who Cares, Who's Next?" (quote by IndyDebi)

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 14

I made a simple one tiered round w/ daisies that picked-up yesterday. I made it for a friend who bought it for a friend who is going thru a divorce. The B-day girl called yesterday, excited about the cake, "it was the best cake she ever got". She didn't want to cut it, but did. She couldn't thank me enough. Come to find out, b-day girl's soon to be ex is a buddy I work with, so I know how bad the divorce is. I made her day, and she made mine.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 14

I made a cake a week ago for a 40 year old single guy. He's one of those guys who has everything so his little brother (a friend) ordered a Guinness cake as his gift. He is obsessed with Guinness so I did a full stand up 3D can with all the details and the inside was Guinness Chocolate cake. It was so fun to make but the best part was seeing his reaction. He was completely dumbfounded and refused to cut it at the party. He said he was going to put it in his fire safe and pull it out for 10 minutes at every party. They've been great marketing for me and a huge ego boost. I've only been doing this a year but I've done a ton of cakes/cupcakes and I've only had to deal with one difficult customer. Everyone else has been amazing so don't fear!!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 14

Most people I work with are wonderful - there is the bride who when came by to drop off a cake stand after her wedding, and was at such a loss of words about her cake, all she could do was give me the biggest hug ever.

I was at my brother-in-law's wedding on the weekend, and my new sister-in-law kept passing by the cake and exclaiming "I can't believe you made that for us - it's perfect! I don't want to cut it!"

The one I like most was at my daughter's birthday party, there was a little girl who told me that she didn't like cake, but she LOVED mine! icon_biggrin.gif

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 14

These are great stories everyone and encourage me to stay the course and get to the point that I am doing wedding cakes etc! Keep em coming!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 14

I just wanted to add an update from my earlier post. I just found out that the guy I made the Guinness cake for STILL has it!!! My brother in law let me know it was getting a couple mold spots on the top. Maybe I should offer to go touch it up for him? icon_biggrin.gif That has to be the biggest compliment ever...even if it is now petrified and moldy.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 14

I actually got a thank you card in the mail a few weeks ago for a three tiered grad cake I made for a girl....(and it was a regular customer, she paid well for it!)

I've also had a couple of customers really do well to help me get my name out more...I have a groom's cake showing up in the "Brides Philadelphia" magazine this month (just near the end of a "real wedding" feature) and a wedding photographer I did his cake for his wedding so that's helping me get my foot in the door just a tad in the wedding business too.

Overall I have great customers!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #10 of 14

This could have been bad but the bride was GREAT!

It's a catering story. Bride ordered my teriyake chicken. When I got the truck delivery, the case said "Teriyake" and that's as far as I looked. But when I opened it, it was bottles of teriyake marinade, not teriyake glaze. I used it anyway (already had food cooking .... no time to run out and get the glaze). Well, it's not the same. icon_redface.gif

When my supv worked the event, she told me the chicken was bad. She could tell it when she was ready to serve. I was ready for the bride's call to complain ... as she should.

Well, she did. I told her I was aware of the problem, my supv had told me about it, and I was actually waiting on her call. She seemed impressed and almost relieved that I already knew about the problem.

She said everything else was fine, but she felt she deserved some kind of refund, and I agreed. I said, "you ordered the 2-meat buffet, and without the chicken, it would be a 1-meat buffet." I offered a refund on the difference between those two and she was ifne with it.

THEN .... I got busy and forgot to send her the check! icon_surprised.gif OMG, she had to call me again and I felt horrible!

She could have been so difficult. She could have made me miserable. But she was the most awesome bride ever, and when she came in to get the check, she said she has some showers coming up that she'll need cakes for and she is referring me to everyone she knows for catering.

It's easy to love a bride when things go right. But when they are this awesome when things go wrong .... well, we just need a special category for these great gals!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 14

Oh yeah I forgot my recent one...huge birthday order...got a flat tire....my customer sent someone to pick up the cakes from the side of the road, and also got her AAA people to come out and fix my tire for free!

Way nice.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:01am
post #12 of 14

A couple of weeks ago I delivered two cakes and the brides happened to be getting ready when I was setting both of them up. One girl did that high-pitched squealy thing and said "It's beautiful! It's just what I wanted!" And the other one started screaming "the cake! The cake!" and ran across the room to see it, she was all over it saying how gorgeous it was and how much she loved it. That was a good day (I usually don't see the brides at all when I'm setting up, so I always kind of wonder what they thought.)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #13 of 14

Oh I have a couple. Most recent, was a big fancy schmancy reception at an art center downtown, very classy. Lots of mucky mucks were there, and I got rave reviews, and still do to this day! Getting lots of referrals from that one job.

But hey, the bridezilla stories are what are juicy! I live vicariously through the posts in here, and get a lot of valuable input to store away for possible future what ifs, ya know? icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:24am
post #14 of 14

Here's mine...my one and only wedding cake, made for the manager of the apartment complex I live in (no stress there, right).

We had to drive the cake out about an hour north of the city, up some windy little roads where my mom's station wagon, which we'd borrowed for the delivery, chugged its way up each hill at about 10 mph. We got to her beautiful house, her kids let us in and I set the cake up while she was outside decorating her back yard. When she came in and saw the cake, she jumped up and down and hugged us (me and my husband, who she barely knows) and kept saying, "Y'all are my bestest friends ever!" And then she told me that when her husband-to-be got up from his nap that he stood there staring at the cake for 20 minutes in awe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%