Pricing..any Help Appreciated

Decorating By lottie26 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm by cylstrial

lottie26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lottie26 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 7

hiya all..

ok here goes.....i have been asked to do a fresh fruit and cream birthday cake.The lady wants TWO 20" by 12" rectangle cakes..she is asking me to this ''cheap''!!can any one advise me re prices or what would you charge per cake please?from what i have seen price wise on the net it would work out fairly expensive!i want to put a reasonable price on it but im a bit stuck on this one..plus with this lady ''haggling'' isnt helping !
any advice much appreciated..thank you

6 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 7

12 x 20 x 4 192 servings - around $750.00

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 7

your price is your price. the only way she can haggle own is if she picks something smaller! tell her that!
if she is family or a close friend, id think about it, but having her say she wants it cheap would get my back up, so it might be a very shourt thought.
how many people does she want to feed - if she is asking for a set size, it may be she doesnt know how many it will feed, just thinks thats a standard size for a cake.
xx

lottie26 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 7

she is wanting to feed 70 people and has asked for 2 ..20" x12" rectangles(its a double birthday) with fresh fruit and cream,she is wanting to pay no more than £60 ...im not sure what kind of price to put on it! I dont know her she got my number through our local hospice as i do alot of fundraising for them and they mentioned that i may be able to do it .I know what you mean about it getting your back up ,my hubby said its different if ur buying a car or something but to haggle on the price of a cake is just cheeky!!lol
Thanks 4 reply

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 7

you need to sit own and cost it out. price everything that goes into the cake and fruit. then price things like petrol for going to the shop, electricity for running the frige, gas for the oven etc. and allow for things like a bit of kitchen roll, a bit of washing up liquid. an price your time as well, at least minimum wage. and compare your prices to local bakeries too, you want to try and be aroun there. there you will be able to come up with a price that is fair to you. if she isnt happy, then it is no big loss.

those sizes will give so many extra servings - wiltons party chart doesnt have those exact sizes, http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm but even one of those cakes would feed all the guests. so educating her a bit will cut her costs.
xx

lottie26 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 7

i dont know about educating her..i think i need to educate myself LOL im useless at this!!!
Your a star,thanks very much for your help!
thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakers2

12 x 20 x 4 192 servings - around $750.00

Lottie - It sounds to me like you need to tell her to cut the size of the cake. She can still have her double layer cake, but if she only needs to feed 70 people, she doesn't need a 12x20. I think this will help cut down her costs. What I would do is come up with a price for each slice, and figure out what the entire cake would cost if it were a 12x20. Tell her the price. And then figure out what a smaller pan size would yield and tell her the price of that one. I think she will probably jump on it and feel better.

But don't cheat yourself. As you said, you're not a car dealership!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%