Gp Flowers Or Real? Need Advice On This...

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #1 of 6

i am doing a 3 tier wedding with red and blue roses. her topper has silk roses and 2 clear plastic or glass hearts. i was wondering if i should make the roses out of gp or use real ones if i can find blue ones. she wants the tiers to be all seperate, not sure what that's called, so there will be a bunch of flowers on top of each tier. she also likes draping. it's a 4th of july wedding. other than that she didn't give me any more preferences. she is leaving it up to me and i'm not really sure what to do to it. i was thinking of trying the octogaonal pans,but maybe i should stick with round.

5 replies
katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 6

personally, id stick with round pans - i just think it would be easier for the draping.
As for the flowers...blue roses are hard to come by (from my experience only).
If you are confident in making the roses, id go with that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 6

If you decide to make roses, I found a tutorial on making really big ones...that way you wouldn't have to make as many. Here's the link to it http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv It's kind of long but it's really useful...I have some roses in my photos that I made by following it, except that I didn't use the styrofoam centers.

Another idea might be silk roses...anyone who decides to have blue roses on their cake would probably realize that they might not be able to get the real thing.

Oh, I don't know if you could find them there, but at Memorial day the grocery stores here had red, white and blue roses...all in the same rose. They were like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerikojosh/304804935/ except that they were red, white and blue instead of rainbow.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #4 of 6

I prefer everything edible so I personally would suggest making the flowers. I know that would be a lot of work.

The tutorial Texas_rose recommended is great!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 6

i recently did some practice roses using that tutorial!! (i did use the center-it makes it very light and dries faster) while i know there is that non-edible aspect do people really eat the roses/flowers? and once you add wire to the flower (in making a stem or to insert in cake) you wouldn't be able to eat it either. if you do make the bigger roses you'll have less to make plus you can do them ahead of time.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the link and the tips icon_smile.gif i think i will try making them. i am jsut trying to figure out if it will balance in with the topper she bought. i think it has like 3 fake roses. i kinda wanted to put a lot of roses on the tops of each tier which means i will have to put some of mine around her topper as well. not sure that will match?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%