Help! Cookies Spreading - Need Ideas....

Baking By Juds2323 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 1:41am by Bellatheball

Juds2323 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:01am
post #1 of 13

I was gonna make cute cookies for my son's class. Pencil etc. but my dough is spreading. I even fridged it well before cooking it. I'm giving up and just making circles cuz then it doesn't mater if the spread. Any ideas what to do with them though? My piping skills on cookies needs work so nothing too complex. Heck I knew I was procrastinating for a reason - my mousse won't whip up like normal either...LOL

TIA

Judi

12 replies
verono Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #2 of 13

What is your recipe? Is it the first time this is happening?

Juds2323 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 13

I've had them spread a bit in the past occasionally. I use penny's cookie recipe - which is similar to NFSC except it has more liquid added. After I switched to circles the more room temp the dough got the less it spread. Go figure! Any ideas on what I can put on the circle to make it end of school. I was up til 2 finishing baking these and am brain dead - that's what I get for procrastinating yesterday.

Thanks again.

Judi

brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 13

circles lend them selves to sports balls! or how about just school colours? flowers? the sun? a beach scene - if you want to be aventurous!
an how about grades, like white background, and a A+ in the middle?
xx

Sweetriley Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 13

I am having the SAME problem and I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried raising the oven temp, substituting some of the butter with Crisco, less baking powder, no baking powder, less shortening, baking them frozen, on parchment, not on parchmant, about 6 different recipes AND convection baking.... aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!! I am going crazy! Could it be my oven? It's calibrated so that's not the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

verono Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetriley

I am having the SAME problem and I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried raising the oven temp, substituting some of the butter with Crisco, less baking powder, no baking powder, less shortening, baking them frozen, on parchment, not on parchmant, about 6 different recipes AND convection baking.... aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!! I am going crazy! Could it be my oven? It's calibrated so that's not the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe your butter is too soft when you are mixing it with the sugar...
Or maybe you are overmixing your butter/sugar and overmixing your eggs...

Juds2323 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 13

My butter shouldn't be soft? Will it still cream when it is cold?

Judi

verono Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

Judi

Yes it should be soft but not TOO much icon_wink.gif
Don't let your butter sit at room temperature all day long..!

This is what i do:
I take my pound of butter right from the fridge, cut the quantity that i need, after that I cut it in cubes and let it sit about 1 hour out of the fridge... And hop in my kitchen aid with the sugar..

Juds2323 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 13

Judi

verono Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 13

And in my recipe the oven is at 400...

And I'm also cooking my cookies when they are frozen.

cdavis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 13

I think 400 is way too hot for cookies. I bake everything at 325. I think it's also very important to use a cooled cookie sheet. You don't have to refrigerate it but let it come to room temp before you place your dough on it.

azeboi2005 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 13

i had wicked spreading when i did heart shapes for valentines day ever since then i did the following and now no more spreading.

1. omit 1 tsp baking powder in recipe
2. try not to handle cookie dough to much when rolling out.
3. before baking i freeze cookies on cookie sheets 15-20 minutes
4. bake at 350
5. transfer cookies from frozen sheets to room temp cookie sheets and bake

nothing spreads now not even my more complex cookie cutters.

hth
chris

Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #13 of 13

I haven't read all the replies but a few thoughts:

Adding some crisco in favor of butter can stop spreading.
Chilling (or even freezing) your dough before they go in to the oven can help.
I find making cookies a bit thicker help too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%