Attaching Fondant To Fondant In The Humidity

Decorating By SarahJane Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm by __Jamie__

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 4

I'm attaching the cake I made today, which I love and think turned out pretty good. The problem is, I didn't want flat hearts on the cake i wanted dimensional ones. But when I went to add them to the cake the bigger ones kept slipping down the cake. So I had to attach them with toothpicks. Even the ones with toothpicks weren't holding very well. One of the major problems with fondant cakes in hawaii is the humidity. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it work?

OK, I can't add the picture it's too big and I don't have time to shrink. On my way to my "real" job. Anyway it's the one with the gigantic heart on top if you look in my gallery.

Thanks for the help.

3 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 4

Wow....so for that much slippage, your fondant must already be gooey and sticky from the humidity in the air? Wow. Are you putting something on to adhere it? Like brushing the back with water? If so, don't. Just press them on and they should stay fine, considering the massive amount of moisture already in the air. Holy cripes, that's crazy.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

Ok, I love your avatar! So funny, Jamie. Anyway, thanks. I did put a little alcohol on the backs to make them stick, but they didn't. Here, the fondant never gets hard to firm, it's very sticky and gummy. I put stuff in the fondant when I make figures, but I can't can't afford to use it on the all the fondant to cover the cakes.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 4

Dang...sticky and gummy all the time? Yuch...that's sad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%