Fondant Coving Question And Dowels..

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm by STRAWBERRY1390

kathy777 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 4

i am making 2 graduation cakes for this saturday.. I already made the cakes and they are in the fridge.. how far in advance can i fondant them? and when i do can i put the cake back in the fridge?? or will they be ok if i leave it out from tuesday to saturday? nothing needs to be refridgerated..

My second question is i am making a topsy turvy cake and a cake that is seperated with foam so it looks like it lifting off the cake.. ( covered in fondant of course) how do i first off dowl that topsy turvy cake? I am going to have to go through the cake boards ? and if so how in the world do you do that??? And with the foam do i only put dowels in the seperated cake sections? because i am assuming that you can't dowel through the foam because i will get into the other cake layers right? Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.. God Bless kathy

3 replies
SarahJane Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 4

Sorry no one helped you, I hope you got it figured out. I do put my fondant cakes in the fridge. They do "sweat", but in Hawaii they will sweat wether I fridgerate them or not and I prefer to use fillings that need to be refridgerated. I want my cakes to tastes as good as they look. I hope it went well. Please post a picture when they're done.

kathy777 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 4

no your not to late.. I need it for this sat june 13 so thank you. there is so much controversy on the fondant and refridgerating it its sometimes confussing..

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Quote:

I am going to have to go through the cake boards ? and if so how in the world do you do that??? And with the foam do i only put dowels in the seperated cake sections? because i am assuming that you can't dowel through the foam because i will get into the other cake layers right? Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Yes your going to have to dowel through the cake boards. You will sharpen the end like a pencil and believe it or not a regular old pencil sharpener will do the trick make sure its a sturdy one. They sell some for carpenters in the hardware store that might work. there is a instruction sheet on the the "HOW DO I" forum for the topsy turvy. Hope it works for you. OH yeah maybe put a pilot hole through the center of the boards if your concerned with it getting in the cake.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%