Covering A Tiered Cake

Decorating By Madiken Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 6:18am by Madiken

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 16

I haven't made too many tiered cakes yet but I made one this weekend that got me thinking... How do you cover a tiered cake to keep it fresh? I didn't have to cover this one because I timed it so it was done very soon before it had to be delivered. However, in the future, I would rather not cut it that close! I only work with buttercream so far and I don't use any fillings that need refrigeration. If I finish a tiered cake the day before it is needed, does it need to be covered? If so, how?

Thx!

15 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:18am
post #2 of 16

Hi, all my cakes are finished a day before the collecting day. So I use cake boxes to store them. Once I have finished decorating and taken a photo, they go straight in the box. icon_smile.gif

Madiken Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 16

I didn't realize you could get cake boxes that large! Where do you find them?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madiken

I didn't realize you could get cake boxes that large! Where do you find them?

I live in UK. So there are boxes for tiered cakes. But I found this website and the boxes are a bit expencive though.

http://www.fondantsource.com/bakeryboxes.html

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 16

Here's how I package up tall cakes. That's cellophane wrapped around the opening. I don't seal the boxes up airtight. Too much moisture accumulation could spell disaster.
LL
LL

Madiken Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks bashini and DianeLM. I don't know why I didn't think of the cellophane thing.

Thanks again!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 16

Good idea DianeLM. I just get boxes from the ups store down the block for me when I need tall boxes. How do you keep the top propped open?

DianeLM Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Good idea DianeLM. I just get boxes from the ups store down the block for me when I need tall boxes. How do you keep the top propped open?

I use the UPS store boxes for really big cakes that can't possibly fit in a cake box. But, so many of my cakes are multi-tiered or tall for other reasons, the cake boxes serve me very well.

The top is propped open because the side flaps of the lid are tucked into the flaps in the back corners of the bottom part. I add a little piece of Scotch tape, just to ensure the lid doesn't pop out of those flaps.
LL
LL

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 16

Great tips! Thanks for sharing the photos too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 16

Good idea. I never thought about doing something like that!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 16

Usually after the cake is sealed with the buttercream, that keeps your cake moist inside.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 16

Where do you get the large plastic bags?

DianeLM Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD333

Where do you get the large plastic bags?

Those aren't bags. It's cellophane off a roll. Not plastic (Saran) wrap, but cellophane, like you'd find on a gift basket.

If that question was not meant for me, then feel free to ignore this post. icon_smile.gif
LL

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 16

For much larger tiered cakes you can just use regular brown cardboard shipping boxes. Tape up the bottom flaps, then turn it on it's end so the open "top" of the box is now the front. Then slide the cake in the front and close it up.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 16

Yep, cardboard boxes! That's what I use. On the ones I've done that have been too tall for a regular cake box, I'll use moving/shipping boxes either from Walmart or UPS store. They're sturdy too....sturdier than those flimsy little white boxes!

Madiken Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:18am
post #16 of 16

Great tips everyone! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%