Coalminer Cake Ideas?

Decorating By brink317 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm by miny

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
Im doing 3 cakes for an 80th birthday party, I have 2 of them figured and designed(box of domino's (the game, not sugar!) and a handyman themed cake), but am stumped as to what to do for a 'coalminer' theme. He worked as a coalminer. Any one have any ideas. It needs to be about a 10 inch square or round, to serve about 30. Thanks a bunch!

Jen

7 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 8

I would make a hard hat with lumps of coal surrounding it.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 8

If it "HAS" to be a 10 in you can use it as a base, cover it in dirt cookie crumbs an add a fondant or covered mini doll base as a cave then add a GP figurine of a miner or the other option is to carve a couple of 6 or 8 in as a mine an add the figurine, HTH

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 8

how about a pic axe???

take a square and cut it up! uses almost all the cake

I'd do a 12x12 to be sure to get the 30 servings.
LL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 8

A cave would be nice. I also like the idea of a wooden box with wheels and coal on top.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8

What about a coal car with coal in it and a pick lying on top. It's the kind that rolls around inside the mine where the miners put the coal as they dig it up to transport around inside the mine. I think they used one in an Indiana Jones movie.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 8

What comes to mind as a former coal miners daughter, metal helmet with headlamp, the metal lunch pail, coal bucket with coal lumps, of course these memories are of long ago when daddy was a coal miner way back in the 1950's. Maybe a figure dressed typical coal miner covered in coal dust, all you could see were the whites of their eyes.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

...... of course these memories are of long ago when daddy was a coal miner way back in the 1950's. Maybe a figure dressed typical coal miner covered in coal dust, all you could see were the whites of their eyes.

I've never seen one in person, so I thought about the Ben Stiller's movie Zoolander where his dad was a coal miner and you could see only his eyes LOL icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%