Last Minute Request From Bride A Mirror???

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm by Rylan

MBHazel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 13

Do any of you place your wedding cakes on a mirror? For my cake this week the bride has asked for the cake to be on a mirror. I am not very comfortable with that. What do you all think???

12 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 13

I've used mirrors on several cakes, both round and square. I think the 'quality' of the mirror has to match the weight of the cake....the heavier the cake, the better/heavier grade of glass for the mirror. Glass shops can match the quality of the glass to what you need.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 13

You can always do your cake on a strong cake board like you normally would to place on top of the mirror. I'd carry the mirror separately, place it on the table then your cake on the cake board on top.

bisbqueenb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can always do your cake on a strong cake board like you normally would to place on top of the mirror. I'd carry the mirror separately, place it on the table then your cake on the cake board on top.

YES...should have mentioned that! The cake should always be on a cake circle regardless of what it is displayed on.

MBHazel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the advise!

My bottom tier will finish out about 15 inches and typically will have the board around 16 and a little bigger. So the mirror would be what, about 20 inches?

Doesn't seem like it will have much impact does it?

cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 13

I've seen cakes on mirrors. If done correctly, it can be gorgeous!

Loucinda Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 13

I have used a 36" octagonal shaped mirror under a couple of wedding cakes I have done (they also used the fountain) for a cake in a dimly lit room, it really does make a nice effect.

Win Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Thanks for the advise!

My bottom tier will finish out about 15 inches and typically will have the board around 16 and a little bigger. So the mirror would be what, about 20 inches?

Doesn't seem like it will have much impact does it?

Mirrors are pretty accents to cakes. When done right, they catch the light (usually they are beveled) and reflect so prettily. I hope you incorporated the charge for the mirror in your overall cost of the cake, they can be expensive... Hobby Lobby has large flat mirrors in different shapes in their candle dept. They consider them to be candle display plates. I'm not sure if they have one as big as you need, but it would be great if you could use a 40% coupon to get it. Some weeks, they are 50% off along with the other candle supplies! Good luck!

MBHazel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all so much!!!!!

Loucinda Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 13

Just an FYI on where to find them......check out businesses going out of business (the octagon came from a clothing store that went under)- and we have a re-sale store in our town here for building materials - they have a ton of large mirrors there that are very reasonably priced.

MBHazel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 13

Great idea!

bisbqueenb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

I would use a cake circle the same size as 15" cake and place that directly on the mirror. That will give the illusion that the cake is on the mirror.

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 13

I agree. Doing so will give the illusion of the cake sitting directly on the mirror.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%