Does Tv Encourage 'zillas?

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm by Deb_

indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 6

Interesting, short article. I posted a comment (has to be ok'd before it shows up, I think).

5 replies
sari66 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 6

Of course it does! I know that most of what you see is staged but these women really like this in some way shape or form and giving them a show to showcase their bad behaviour is just wrong. I've watched it a few times and I know that if someone acted like these women did with Me they'd be out the door in 2 seconds!! I didn't let my daughter throw a tantrum with Me and I wouldn't let a grown woman do it either.

brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 6

i think people see other behaving like that, and then getting what they want, it makes them think, well, why cant i do that too?
im sure i watched bridezillas when it first came on, and it was much more 'real' than how it is now.

cakes22 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 6

If I were getting married nowadays, and I saw some of these shows that highlight a "bridezilla", I think I would do everything in my power NOT to become one. I always wonder if these "women" ever watch the show afterwards and think "Oh my gosh, I was such a B***H!"

cutthecake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, yes, yes!
This is one thing that truly drives me nuts.
Reality TV rewards bad behavior, which is then copied by the masses in real life. This generation watches so much reality TV that the line is obscured between appropriate behavior and bratty behavior. The bridezillas--and other subjects of reality TV--push things as far as they can. Then they're famous, on youtube, and often financially rewarded. Oh, the drama! Think Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Ozzy Osborne's family, every other family who invited cameras into their home, the Sweet 16 show, etc. These people gain fame and influence for their rotten behavior, and not because of any talent or skill they may have. Look what those shows--or maybe the fame from those shows-- have done to those many divorces and family breakdowns.
And let's not forget the contribution of the internet and cell phones to this mess. Face to face contact is reduced; people communicate with abbreviations instead of words; cyber bullying; conversations are chopped; and niceties are ignored in the interest of brevity. Kids talk to each other all day long, but never ask, "How are you?"
Anyone can fire off a hostile, nasty, rude text message or email in a heartbeat, without realizing the consequences.
Anonymous communication can get ugly really fast.
And you do not have to verbally express every random, possibly hurtful and insulting, thought that enters your mind, as they seem to do on these shows.
Privacy, anyone?
My kids say that I should be living in a "Leave it to Beaver" world. (Wasn't Wally adorable?) That would be fine with me. People were polite and kind to each other, manners were prevalent, and people used discretion. Social graces were evident; June and Ward weren't vulgar or loud; and kids were respectful (or punished, if not). The only thing I'd have a problem with is June's shirt-waist dresses and pearls. I'm a jeans kind of girl.

Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 6

I think it encourages it too but only to people that are naturally bitchy anyway.

I think they're all disgusting little twits who will end up divorced anyway icon_rolleyes.gif

I probably shouldn't say this but in all my years doing cake and hair for weddings I can honestly say I've never come across one of these "zillas"..............knock wood icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%