Do You Use Pans For Different Size Square Cakes Or Cut Them

Decorating By kr1970 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm by mbt4955

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 13

to size? I'm trying to decide if i need to buy a 6x6 or if i can cut it down? Will it just crumble apart at the corners?? i'd appreciate any help - Thanks, Kim

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #2 of 13

I'm sure you can do that, I wouldn't want the hassle. I bought 2 each of every size of Magic Line squares....best investment to date, and they really were not that expensive.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 13

If you bake a firmer cake, such as a WASC, and chill or freeze it before cutting, it should be fine. I like cutting them just because then you get really pointy corners, while as most of the inexpensive square pans give you rounded corners, which are more difficult (for me, anyway) to ice.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 13

Here is what an inferior (as far as square corners goes) square pan looks like next to a Magic Line....they really come out sharp cornered and edged out of these babies! Sharper than a knife will do, and you won't be tearing up your cake doing it either!
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 13

Here's another view...I'm sure you can tell which one is which. icon_wink.gif
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 13

Jamie, good side by side pics so folks can make their choices. I have the nice and pointy corner ones!!

I have used a 12x12 and cut four 6" cakes from it. I think you have to be really exact in your leveling as the center of the cake is usually higher than the corners, so assembly is like a big Tetris puzzle! icon_lol.gif

Even tho' you have to grease/wash more pans, I'd rather bake in smaller pans, than cut into squares.

It's not do-or-die either way with me, though.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 13

Lol Debi, and cutting exact ain't my specialty!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 13

I use different size pans.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #9 of 13

I'm needing to buy square pans, but can't stand the ones with the soft corners or the sides that aren't exact 90 degree angles. Anyone tried the Fat Daddios pans? I've looked at them online several times.

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:27am
post #10 of 13

That is exactly who my pic of Magic Line is next to...no, they are just as rounded as any other pan.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 13

Of all that I have seen the Magic Line has the best corner and is a heavier pan.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 13

I have the Fat Daddio's and really like them. I bake at 325 and use my scaper to make my corners sharp. The cake itself doesn't come out rounded like the pan, maybe not as sharp a corner as the magic line but not rounded. After icing I don't think you could tell a difference.

I have both magic line and fat daddios and like them both.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 13

If I can hijack this thread for a minute, I have a "the same, only different" question. icon_smile.gif

I have almost ordered (daily for a couple of weeks now) a set of square Magic Line pans (6-14"), but I have a horrible time trying to cover my square cake dummies because the corners are so square. The fondant keeps tearing and I'm thinking that a pan that isn't quite so square might work better with fondant. Does this make sense or is there some reason for me having so much trouble with corners?

I do want to get the Magic Line pans to use for buttercream, but I'm thinking I may just stick with my Wilton this time. Besides ... I only need to buy 6" if I go Wilton and will need the whole set if I make the change.

TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%