What On Earth Did I Do Wrong??

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm by Sugarflowers

CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 8

I have been making Michele Foster fondant for a while now, love it and have never had a problem. I just tried making the chocolate version, and it turned into a big globby mess! If you pulled it, it just squished back together. It was really rubbery. I am so upset!

The only thing that I can think of, is that I used one ounce of melted chocolate, and one tablespoon of cocoa powder, instead of the six ounces of melted chocolate that the recipe calls for. I only did it because I didn't have enough chocolate. Did the cocoa powder screw it up somehow?

Now I'm freaking out not knowing what went wrong, and I'm afraid to screw up again and waste more ingredients. Please help me!

7 replies
shanna_banana Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure what exactly messed things up, but I do know that 1 oz. of unsweetened chocolate = 3 Tbls. cocoa + 1 Tbls. shortening. Maybe that's what caused the problem? HTH

Sugarflowers Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 8

Try kneading some powdered sugar into a small amount of the fondant until it starts forming a ball. It might need quite a bit.

Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 8

Michele, I saw you on Food Network!!!

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Michele, I saw you on Food Network!!!

Pretty funny wasn't it? My hair was so-o-o perfect! Aug! I also looked and sounded like a dork. icon_smile.gif

Oh well, it was a great show because that was my first year in the Master's Division and I honestly didn't think I would get anything.

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 8

I know this post is a little late, but I have made a discovery since I posted. It seems that the manufacturers of corn syrup have added a lot more water to their product. It is now much thinner that even a year ago.

My ideas for fixing this are to use 1/4 cup less corn syrup or to use 1 additional tablespoon of gelatin. Please remember, I have NOT tried this yet and I do not know if it will work. These are suggestions only.
One thing that will definitely work is to use straight glucose. This is harder to find, but it does make a wonderful fondant.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 8

how much glucose is needed, Michele?

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

how much glucose is needed, Michele?

The last time I used it I just used the same amount as for corn syrup. This has been a while back because glucose was more expensive and harder to get. The fondant was wonderful though. I just didn't have the money to spend on it at the time.

p.s. This was also when I was using packets of gelatin instead of measured gelatin. So I would go with 2 Tbsp. of gelatin to 1 cup of glucose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%