Weight Loss Help...with The Chunky Monkeys!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #211 of 1590

Katherine, I'm fine with challenges, like I said I just want to make sure we have an options if one isn't possible for us to do. I'm a bit moody right now, PMSing, so that's probably where my post yesterday came from. Gotta love being a woman.

My weight this morning was 167.2.

I'm actually down, though next week may be a different story after I deal with mother nature. I don't have a fabric tape measure at my house to measure with. I'll have to borrow from my mom and won't get back over there until after the weekend.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #212 of 1590

CHALLENGE FOR WEEK BEGINNING WED, SEP. 23

Please don't force yourself, do what you can without pain!! Please note that these can be split over the 7 following days, so if something says 50, you could do 10 each on 5 days, or all in one day!!

Cardio Challenge
Walk up and down stairs for 15 minutes
OR
Walk briskly for 30 minutes
AND A BONUS
Skip (or pretend you are skipping if you have no rope) for 3 minutes

Strength Challenge
Do 30 standard crunches (click
OR
Do 2 minutes of planks
AND A BONUS
Do 15 push-ups (from your knees, wall, feet, whatever works for YOU!).

Have fun with this please, it's intended to get us moving a bit and to incorporate some strength...[/url]

TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #213 of 1590

If anyone hasn't done one any of these in a while I thought it would be helpful for all of us to take a moment to refresh ourselves on how to do them properly. Not only to avoid injury, but to make sure our hard work pays off.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/ht/Crunch.htm

Kay_NL Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #214 of 1590

Thank you Tracey!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #215 of 1590

Hey guys. Thanks so much Kathering for the challenges. I'm gonna get on mine this afternoon. They sound great. Also, thanks Tracey for the link. Hey, anyone got a hoola hoop? I came across one yesterday that I had purchased for my grandchild some time back and I thought to myself, hey, I can do this, I used to be great at it....... Well, even my big ole waist and hips couldn't keep that darned thing up. You'd think I was a pole as fast as that thing slid to the floor. Soooo, I decided to incorporate the hoola hoop into my exercise routine. I'm gonna master that darned thing!! Also going to get an inexpensive jump rope. That's gonna take some time to get back into the hang of too. Just gonna play around with it and have some fun..... So, how's everyone doing today?

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #216 of 1590

Today has been good for me. I'm at work, so that helps with the grazing and I'm just ignoring the candy jar on my desk. I've had breakfast, a cheese stick for a snack and lunch with no extras. icon_smile.gif I also have some grapes, an orange, sugar snap peas or a laughing cow cheese triangle and a few crackers to choose from for a snack for later if I decide I need one.

Last night I stayed up way later than I should have baking for this weekends wedding cake, but I had to get it baked. Tonight after work (day job) I have to go teach royal icing flowers (part time job). Then I'm hoping to torte, fill and crumb coat my cakes and get more sleep that I did last night. icon_smile.gif

I did have a couple of spoonfuls of cake batter while I was baking, but I also ate a low cal dinner, so I'm hoping they cancel each other out. Right? icon_wink.gif I may just pull out some rubber gloves tonight when I'm making the icing so I'm not tempted to lick my fingers or taste test.

I started typing up some things that I wanted to do that I know will help me. I've decided to make it a word challenge for everyone, to help us form our plans. Which my plan is the biggest thing I need to work on.

List 3-5 things that you will work on to help lose weight. It can be anything from food prep, to food choices, to work out plans, or anythign else you know you need to address. Just a few things you know you need to change or add to help you reach your goal.

1. Food journal:
I need to start honestly listing everything I eat and drink. I know I hate to write down that I have 4 pieces of candy and two spoons of cake batter, especially when the numbers add up. But by writing it down I think about it before I pop it in my mouth.

2. Divide things in to serving portions:
Last night I made some taco meat, and I went ahead and divided the servings into 4 small bowls. This way I can just grab a bowl and add it to a low carb tortilla or a salad and I don't have to stop and remember how many servings it was suppose to serve and how many I have left. Plus it cuts down on lunch prep time.

I also have a kitchen scale and I'm going to go ahead and weigh out the crackers I bought in to servings. Again for the quick grab and go factor and that way I'm never just reaching in the box and grabbing a hand full of them.

3. Plan, prepare and cook ahead:
I have several frozen dinner's in the freezer, and for the most part they are pretty good, but I enjoy cooking as well. After this weekend, I am going to set a shopping and cooking day. This way I always have good for me foods with out the long hassle of spending alot of time cooking for one each night. This will also help me have healthy lunchs so don't give in to the fast food.

I'm sure I'll think of something else after I click submit but this will be a good start for me and I can always come back and add on to it later. icon_smile.gif

I'm hoping I can find some time for the exercise challenge, but it may have to wait until this wedding cake is done and delieveried.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #217 of 1590

Margie the only time I have hoola hopped was on the Wii. That surely is a work out!

butternut Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #218 of 1590

Good idea Tracey. Ok, here we go:
1. I will work harder on being consistent with my work out program
2. I will work harder on taking the time to read the ingredients and nutritional values of the foods I purchase.
3. I will work harder on not weighing in every single day and by doing that avoid being discouraged when I don't see a change on the scale.
4. I will make more of an effort to eat breakfast which will help start my metabolism prior to starting my day and my work outs.

Tracey - is the hula hoop on the Wii fit game?

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #219 of 1590

I think so. Is that the one you need the Wii board for? It is the one with the yoga and stuff. I want to say it is one of the bonus games you have to unlock. I haven't played with the Wii since Jan.

Kay_NL Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #220 of 1590

Margie, I can't for the life of me keep a hoop on my hips! lol You would think with the size of my hips it would be okay, but nope!! I might try incorporating some into my workouts as well... If you are getting a skipping rope, make sure it is a heavy one (not fabric children's ones!!) as they are easier to spin. They hurt more when they hit the ankles and feet, but I find that makes me try harder. lol

I am feeling so down today. icon_sad.gif Not due to exercise or eating, sometimes I just get really really blue. icon_sad.gif I have few friends outside my family and today is one of the days I could really use some. *sigh*

Tracey, it sounds like you are on the right track!! icon_smile.gif

Here are my 3 things I need to work on:
1. I need to stop making excuses to NOT exercise.
2. I need to get more sleep at night and be more efficient with my "free" time so that I am not up late trying to accomplish things.
3. I need to stop the senseless snacking on junk, eating chocolate chips out of the bag, helping myself to the cake scraps from leveling, etc.
4. I need to be more optimistic about myself, especially on days like today. icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #221 of 1590

Katherine, here is a hug from me to you! My mood has been all over the map this week because of PMS so I totally understand the feeling blue. I have the ughs combined with the don't wanna's right now. Not a good combination when you are doing a big cake.

Right now I'm waiting out time until I can go home and work on the cake. I am just ready to get it and the demo over with.

Last night I decided that it is okay to throw away 'prefectly good food' sometimes. I was leveling my cakes and instead of putting the scraps in a bag I knew I'd end up sampling from, they just went straight to the trash. I realised I didn't need it sitting around tempting me.

I did end up sampling my icing. After the third bite went in my mouth I turned around and spit it out. I was like you don't really want this, you don't need it and you aren't hungry (ate before I even made the icing) so what are you doing? Felt good, though I'd wish I had done it after the first.

Did good for breakfast today but slipped up at lunch. My brother offered me carnitas (probably spelled that wrong). So I ended up eating three flour tortillas with the pork in them. I did pull any fat off the pork and didn't have any cheese, so it could have been worse. I also had a small bowl of mexican rice I made the other day. Tonight I'm eating light and will try really hard to resist the urge to sample the chocolate icing I'll have to make.

A little tip for everyone... I have been drinking milk or orange juice in the mornings and instead of using my larger size juice glasses I went and bought some cheap plastic cups that only hold 9oz. That way I now that as long as I don't fill it completely up I am not getting over a serving, and with the smaller glass it isn't like I have alot of empty room to feel like I am missing out on something.

I may try to check in tomorrow evening, depending on how tired I am. If not I'll be around sometime Sunday to report in and see how everyone else has been doing. Hope everyone has a good and healthy weekend.

butternut Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #222 of 1590

Good morning everyone. Hope all had a great week-end. Boy, fall is in the air this morning. Nice and crisp. Would have been nice to have been able to go out for a nice morning walk. So, how is everyone doing? I'm feeling really good and hope everyone else is too. We've got our mojo working, got our grooves on and we're going FORWARD!!! Katherine, you and I are gonna tackle that ole hoola hoop. icon_lol.gif Not gonna let that thing defeat us..... I have completed my challenge over the week-end thumbs_up.gif Looking forward to some more. Thanks Katherine.
Tracey, yep I do believe that is the Wii Fit. I've thought about getting that but I know that there are a couple more exercise ones out there and really not sure which one to go with. I've been amazed at how many exercise shows I've found on cable tv. No excuses for me, that's for sure.
I bought my trick or treat treats yesterday. I looked at all the candy and it just looked too tempting. Knowing that I usually have some left over I decided to buy some rice krispy treats. They are only 100 calories each so if I eat one or two, it wouldn't be toooooo bad. Looked for the case of 100 calorie popcorn but couldn't find it. That's what I really wanted. I really like the Pop Secret 100 cal butter....Sooooo good.
Alrighty, going to sit here and write up my weekly menu. You guys have a wonderful day/week and stay strong.....

TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #223 of 1590

I survived the wedding cake and demo with my sanity in take, thanks to my friend that helped me deliver and put the flowers on the cake.

I did end up going to Carinos Saturday night with my parents for dinner. I did have a salad, a small amount of the bread and only half my dinner. So could have been worse. And because of the really busy morning/afternoon I hadn't eaten much all day. Which is isn't the best thing, but I could have taken in alot more calories than I did.

We did go shopping after dinner so I walked around Walmart.

Yesterday I didn't eat alot either. I just get off track on weekend. I want to sleep in and don't have set eating times like I do during the week.

Margie, I liked the Wii Fit, but for me it is more of something for fun than it would be to really work out with. You have to click several times between exercises, so you aren't keeping your heart rate up. I wish you could just move from one thing to the other easier/quicker. I haven't tried the other games so I don't know about them.

I'm considering getting an eliptical machine. I still have access to my mom's trademill but since I'm working more, I haven't been going to her house as much. I'm thinking if I get an eliptical it would give me something to workout on and maybe I could talk myself into doing it first thing in the morning. We shall see.

I haven't completed the challenges yet. I was very busy until Saturday evening and then was just worn out. I spent yesterday trying to catch up from my lack of sleep. Not an excuse I know. I still have two days, and I'm determined now to be able to come back and report in on Wed saying I did them. icon_smile.gif

Margie, what's on the menu this week? icon_wink.gif

I'm going grocery shopping this evening and will do some cooking for the week. I need to stock up on some more fruits and veggies. Mmmm! I'm thinking I'm gonna have some shrimp pasta salad this week, with whole grain pasta of course, and something with chicken.

Hope everyone is having a good start to their week. We can do this!!

Kay_NL Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:12pm
post #224 of 1590

I have been having a good few days, I ran 7K yesterday and lifted weights twice since I posted last. icon_smile.gif I also completed my challenges.

Margie, I hope you can avoid the Halloween treats!! I usually buy chips as I'm not a chip lover. If it was chocolate, I would have it devoured, and I hide them away from my husband, who is a huge chip addict. icon_smile.gif

Tracy, I really like elliptical machines! It sounds like you are remaining strong, I have a major weakness in restaurants and think you are awesome for not finishing your meal!!

I need to be strong tonight, we're going to a Chinese buffet (Mom's night out, there are about 20 Moms going and I'm not missing it!). There are no menu options, just buffet...

Guess what Monkeys?? 12 weeks + 2 days until Christmas Eve! I'm sure you can all relate to wanting to be slimmer by then. For me it is seeing all the family I only see once a year, and I want to be smaller, healthier, and fitter!! WE can accomplish A LOT in 12 weeks!!!!!

TexasSugar Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #225 of 1590

Katherine, I think in 3 months we can all accomplish a smaller us! I can't believe it is already that close!

Good luck with the buffet. If they have two different size plates, go with the smaller one. That way you feel like you are getting more food. icon_smile.gif Puls tell yourself ahead of time that you are only going through the line once. And don't forget to eat slow. You are there to relax and hang out with the mom's, do more talking than eating. HeHe.

This morning I got up early and walked a mile with a dvd. I don't think it was 30 mins but it was a mile, so I hope ya'll will count that. I did also do 3 sets of 12 regular crunchs and 3 sets of 12 reverse crunches. I did attempt the plank but know I wasn't able to hold it for 2 mins.

I was brain storming this morning and thought, "Hey, how about we assign some point values to the exercises." Nothing major, maybe a point for every exercise up to 20 or 25 a week. We can always do the cardio challenge every day, but since you are suppose to skip days when working mucles groups we can aim for those 3 times a week.

We wouldn't use the points to beat each other, but to encourage ourselves to build points. And maybe after so many points, 50, 100, 150... we can treat ourselves with something.

What do ya'll think? It's just an idea, so feel free to veto it. It won't hurt my feelings.

I'm ready for tomorrow's weight in!!

Kay_NL Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:42pm
post #226 of 1590

Tracy,

I can NOT hold a plank for 2 minutes! lol! I can hold it for about 45 seconds, so did 2 holds on both my weight workouts!

I love the idea of points!! Maybe we should make it broader, since some people wouldn't do the challenges, and assign a point for every time you exercise for 20 minutes or more, and 5 bonus points for completing the challenge? Just a counter thought to your idea of course! icon_smile.gif

I'm loving this group, I feel refreshed and ready to get serious (again, lol!). I hope I am ready for weigh-in tomorrow, it really depends on how my buffet goes. lol

TexasSugar Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #227 of 1590

How about...

5 points a day for doing the challanges, some form of exercise, work out or activity.

After all, isn't the point of the challenges is to get us up and moving? To give us a push to exercise more?

This would be a simply way to give ourselves credit with out having to keep a mile long list of each exercise we did every week. Plus we wouldn't have to remember if we walked for 20 mins or 30 mins or if that work out video was 30 mins or 40 mins long.

The biggest postive to it would be that it would put everyone on even ground, since some may be able to work out more or longer than others or if they can't do the challenges they can do what ever works for them.

Everyone would have the same chance to earn the same 35 points a week.

(Activities would be things that aren't standard work out routines, but that get you up and moving and burning calories. Examples would be, a game of tag with the kids, deep cleaning the house (you know that reaching up hight and bending down low cleaning), gardening, turning on your favorite cd and dancing around, and so on.)

For me it is just an way to be accountable for doing them. And to make it a little fun for us to get something in return, other than weight loss, for our hard work.

Of course I'm horrible about thinking up rewards for myself. I'm an impulse buyer so I'd buy a shirt I liked before waiting to lose a certain number of pounds and have it not be there any more. icon_smile.gif

What do ya'll think?

Katherine, just remember drink lots of water to help flush out all that salt! icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #228 of 1590

I like the 5 points a day!! icon_smile.gif

Had an awesome walk after work today, and had 3 very small plates of food at the buffet. Hoping for the best at my weight in, but it really depends right??

Katherine

Kay_NL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:28am
post #229 of 1590

Today's stats for me are:

weight = 170 (-0.4, good enough for me! lol!)
waist = 36 inches (-0.25, okay!!)

Two losses, not significant, but I'll take them. icon_smile.gif Hoping for a better week this week.

Kay_NL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #230 of 1590

CHALLENGES FOR WEEK BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 30

Congrats to all of you who completed exercises, or exercised, over the last week! I hope weigh-in day is kind to you all. icon_smile.gif Here are this weeks challenges, we have decided that 5 points will be awarded to each person on each day that they exercise, you can do the challenges, or whatever you want! We want everyone here motivated to do SOMETHING daily. icon_smile.gif

Cardio Challenges
1) On your next walk, incorporate a bit of jogging! You can jog for 15-30 seconds every 5 minutes, or less, or more!!
AND/OR
2) Do 20-30 jumping jacks on 3 days of the week.
BONUS
3) Complete 10 burpees on 2 days of the week. (see not below)

Strength Challenges
1) Do two sets of walking lunches (for 20-60 seconds) during the next week. (see note below)
AND/OR
2) Do 2-4 wall sits throughout the next week. Try to hold them for 30-60 seconds. These can be seen at this link:
http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/howtosquat_8.htm put your back straight against the wall with knees bent at 90 degree angles, as though you are sitting on a chair. Keep your abs engaged. icon_smile.gif
BONUS
3)Hold your body in a plank position for more than 30 seconds, twice during the week.

Videos of burpees and lunge walks are available on Youtube!

Please have fun, these are just for an extra challenge and a bit of fun, but the main thing is to get out there and walk or exercise however you wish!!

TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #231 of 1590

I just realised I posted my weight wrong last week. I was looking back to see where I was, and am going there is no way I lost over 10lbs. Sure enough, I typed it wrong.

Last week: 157.2
This week: 156.4

Almost 1lb, which I am totally good with. After making those cakes with all that icing and stress, dinner out and Mother Nature dropping off her gift this week it could have been higher than it was.

I still haven't measured my waist. I need to add the flexable tape measure to my shopping list.

Kay_NL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #232 of 1590

Wow, That is AWESOME Tracy!! icon_smile.gif I am dreaming of numbers less than 160 at this point, hopefully soon. icon_smile.gif Congrats!!!!!!

TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #233 of 1590

You'll be there before you know it!

Eating better is becoming a habit and it is getting easier for me to make healthier food choices, over being offered something like fast food.

Now I really need to work on the exercise part.

butternut Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #234 of 1590

Hey guys.... Wow what a week!!!! I haven't posted because my puter has been down with a very nasty virus... Took three days online with McAfee to clean it out...... Soooooo glad to be back up and running.... I've got a page of posts to go through and don't really have time at the moment but thought I would at least give my weigh in results from this morning.
I managed to lose 2 pounds bringing my total for the last two weeks to 8.2lbs. I did manage to lose 1/2 inch off the waist this last week as well. ..... Soooo, pretty happy with everything. Slow and steady wins the race.........From skimming over a few posts it looks like everyone had a pretty good week as welllll.... YAY, are we a force to be reckoned with or what????? Gotta run, more later...........................

TexasSugar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #235 of 1590

Margie, I was wondering where you were. Congrats on the 2lbs!!

Need a laugh.... guess what I found in my driveway today? A hoola hoop. I faintly remember it being there, but I have no idea where it came from. Maybe I too will try it out. Hmmm.

I walked home from work (next door. icon_smile.gif) and was cramping pretty bad so I really just wanted to crawl into bed and ignore the world. I knew there was no way I'd talk myself into actually working out while I felt that bad. Instead I decided to go outside and do some 'yard work.' I figured that would give me some results of seeing that I did something and wouldn't feel like working out. I cut and pulled a vine out of my fence, then trimmed down some bushes that were growing on the side of my house. I also pulled out dead plants from flower pots. I'm hoping to find some pansies and snap dragons soon.

All in all I spent about 45 mins outside moving around, bending and squating.

Kay_NL Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:41am
post #236 of 1590

Where are all the other Chunky Monkeys?? Come out and join us in our enthusiasm to healthier people!! No matter what shape, what size, what abilities you have, we want to hear from you! icon_smile.gif

Way to go Margie!!

Tracy, yard work counts! icon_smile.gif

I wish today was weigh in day (instead of the day after Chinese buffet, lol!) I am down to 169 today, likely because I went for a 10k run yesterday and got a lot of that salt from Chinese out of my system! icon_smile.gif

I got up this morning and lifted weights for 45 minutes, then biked to work (about 25 minutes against the wind today!). I guess that's my 5 points for the day! icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great one everybody!!

butternut Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #237 of 1590

Good morning... Tracey, that was funny about the hoola hoop. Next week should be a bit less busy for me and I'm pulling mine out (when no one is around) and gonna work it..... Sorry you had a yucky feeling day yesterday but you did get lots of exercise with yard work. Hope you are feeling better today. I also did some work outside yesterday. Got my garden cleared for some pansies that I purchased yesterday. Today gonna be busy with the planting. I just love how pansies last so long through the winter....
Katherine, WOW, look at you doing all that exercise... That's GREAT!! thumbs_up.gif
Wish I had half that amount of energy and stamina. I'm happy to get in a brisk 2 mile walk on the treadmill every day and then I'm sore. I can't imagine running like you do and then doing weights. WOW..... Maybe in my younger day, hmmmm, then again, maybe not. icon_rolleyes.gif
Looks like you have a head start on the weight loss next Wednesday. I know it would have been nice to have seen that yesterday but it sure will add to this week's loss. I predict that it's gonna be a great week for all of us.....
Have a wonderful day everyone and continue with positive thoughts!!!!!

Kay_NL Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #238 of 1590

We can't grow flowers here during the winter, way to much snow! icon_smile.gif I do need to mow the lawn this weekend, and my husband will be out of town, and I have 2 cake orders that I will not snack during. icon_smile.gif

Just curious, how old are other people here?? I turned 30 in February. icon_smile.gif It's funny, the drinking age here is 19 and I still get carded at the liquor store sometimes... lol!!

butternut Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #239 of 1590

OK, I'm one of the "older" monkies. I'm ummmm, ummmm, icon_cry.gif in my "early" 50's icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif But if it counts, I act like I'm much younger icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #240 of 1590

I'll be 31 in Dec. and I totally understand the carded thing. I get told to enjoy it cause it means I look younger, but sometimes you want to look your age. Like when you are at the bar and you have babies (what I call guys under 25) hitting on you cause you look like you aren't much older than them.

Today is one of my long days, I have work then turn around and go teach class. Thankfully it is an easy class night for me, since I show them the basket weave and rope border then watch them do their cakes. I'm hoping this evening I'll be able to get in some exercise. After class though I'm usually drained and hungry since 5 is too early for me to eat.

Last night I was in bed and alseep about 10:30. I use to be a night owl but since I'm working the job and half, I can't hang that late every night any more. icon_sad.gif

Next week when I'm over my period I'm going to push myself to get up early on my long days and work out first thing. That way I get it over with and don't have to deal with it after 9 pm when I don't want to do anything but sit down.

Kat, just think you are already down -1 for next weeks weigh in. HeHe. icon_smile.gif

Margie, enjoy those pansies! I think if it isn't raining here this weekend I'm gonna see if I can find some. If not, there will be next weekend.

I am also going to start the fun task of cleaning house. I bought new stuff for my bathroom, since I needed a change. I have decided that I am going to give it a real good cleaning before I put the new stuff in. And I need to finally once and for all finish cleaning out my cake room and get everything in there nice and neat. Plus just go through everything else in the house and pull out what I don't need, don't want or will never use to make more room for things I do want and need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%