What Does Glycerin Do?

Decorating By DancingCakes2008 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm by margaretb

DancingCakes2008 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have glycerin and some gum-tex? what are the purposes for these two items?

Thank you all

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 8

Glycerin can be added to icing colors that have dried out. Some fondant recipes call for it too. A non-cake use for it is to add to your kids' bubble soap so they can blow giant bubbles.

Gum-tex is used for making gumpaste. It doesn't work as well as tylose, at least for me, and it doesn't smell very good. (I have two partial cans of it that I'll probably never use up icon_biggrin.gif)

DancingCakes2008 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you Texas_Rose. Another question if you don't mind, can I had gum-tex to MMF to help it harden faster? I do have some Wilton fondant and need to make some items that will become hard like gumpaste. Any ideas? I don't have time to run to the store.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, you can add gum-tex to MMF. Just knead some in.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 8

I believe glycerin in fondant helps make it stretch with out tearing as bad. If you live in an area (England and such) where you actually ice cakes in royal icing you can use glycerin to keep it from drying rock hard.

I use gum-tex all the time in fondant to help make bows and even used it to make my skateboarders and monkeys. It takes the fondant and makes it dry faster and harder. You can add it to Wilton's or MMF, it will work the same in both. I don't measure it any more. I just kneed in a little and go by the feel of it.

DancingCakes2008 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you Texas ladies so much. I appreciate the information.

sadsmile Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 8

I have made the gumtex and it does smell foul! It is better once it is totally dry and it just tastes like hard sugar. I have made fondant with glycerin and with out... and right now I am on the way to the store for some more!

margaretb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 8

I just stocked up on glycerin (I buy the 250 ml bottles at the pharmacy for less than twice the cost of the little wilton bottles from Michaels), and I am going to try that idea with the bubbles. Woo hoo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%