What Type Of Buttercream Icing Should I Use?

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:35am by indydebi

cakelovincrazy Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 7

I've made a few birthday cakes for my daughters, but now I'm making one for a friends little boy. I'm very nervous!

I'm going to make an under the sea cake for her and I'm not sure which buttercream to use. I was thinking Indydebi's, but was wondering if I could use that for everything? such as; filling, frosting and to make stars around the bottom of the take and for decorating a few things on the top like star fish and stuff. I'm going to use gummy fish for the fish.

If I can use it for everything is the consitency in her recipe good for all the things I want to do or will I have to adapt the recipe and if so how?

Also, how long and where do I store her buttercream?
I was hoping to make the buttercream tomorrow to make sure it turns out and if it's ok then keep for the cake on Friday. I'm making the cake Friday and the party is on Saturday. Will it go bad during the week?

TIA for all of your help. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

I use it for absolutely everything. The only thing I ever do to it is thin it if I'm doing the cornelli lace, because of the hand-cramps I get when doing that much lace work.

I store it on my counter for days and it holds up fine. I never refrigerate it. never.

cakelovincrazy Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use it for absolutely everything. The only thing I ever do to it is thin it if I'm doing the cornelli lace, because of the hand-cramps I get when doing that much lace work.

I store it on my counter for days and it holds up fine. I never refrigerate it. never.

Straight from the source, can't get any better than that. icon_biggrin.gif
Is your recipe enough to decorate a sheet cake and a half plus do a little decorations?
Sorry, for all the questions, I'm still new at this. icon_smile.gif
Thank you

CanadianCakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I should hope so!!!
I also use indydebi's BC for absolutly everything!!!!!
I love it and anyone who has every tried my cakes loves it. It stands up to heat very well....some cupcakes I did for a BBQ held up for a few hours in 33 degree celcius weather!!! I also don't refrigerate!!
But seriously it's the best!

cakelovincrazy Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 7

GREAT! Thanks for the quick answers. icon_biggrin.gif I'm excited to try it tomorrow and will be sure to mark my recipe; use for everything. icon_biggrin.gif

Bull Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7

Where do I find this frosting recipe, please? I did a search under recipes but was not successful...... Thanks, Bull

indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Ever since the new search mechanism was put into place, I'm getting lots of requests for the recipe because it can't be found via a search. Ask anytime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%