12 X 18 Cake Help

Decorating By bethie713 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm by margaretb

bethie713 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 11

Can I put a filling in a 12 x 18 cake that has 2" depth? Seems like the cake will fall apart very easily if I slice it. Has anyone done this before? Or do I need to make 2 12x18 cakes and add the filling on top of the first one then add the 2nd 12 x 18?

10 replies
Doug Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 11

i do it all the time (just 2 weeks ago -- chocolate cake, mocha buttercream and raspberry filling.

how badly it "falls apart" depends upon the stickiness of the filling. the stickier the less likely to come apart....oh and a good sharp knife helps too!

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 11

I've also done it and it works fine. The hardest part for me was torting the dang thing. I'm fortunate in that I have a knife with a 14" blade (it's one of those big beef carving knives). I was worried about keeping it straight.

So what I did was put the cake on something that elevated it one inch. Then I laid the 12x18 pan upside down right beside the cake. The cake was now 1" taller than the pan.....perfect for torting. I started slicinginto the cake and the tip of the blade ran along the surface of the pan, keeping me nice and level. When I was done, I had two perfect 1" tall cake halves.

I removed and replace the top half with a large cardboard. Easy peasy! Oh ... the cake was very very cold (partially frozen?) which made it easy to handle, too.

JaimeAnn Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11

I just did one last week ... the falling apart (if you are talking about while cutting and separating the layers) depends on the density of the cake , I used Kakeladi's original WASC recipe with no problem. Adhere the cake to the cake board before slicing, cut then lay a clean cake board on top and turn over carefully , the layer adhered to the first cake board should stay stuck and the top layer should transfer to the other cake board. Put filling on the first side, then put the second layer back on top. it should come right off the other cake board and back onto the first cake .

HTH

JaimeAnn Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 11

Oh I forgot.. Like Indy said , It is MUCH easier to do if it is partially frozen! Mine had been in the freezer overnight.

bethie713 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for your suggestions!!! I feel much better about it, then. I'm going to go give it a try now!

lilscakes Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 11

I do these all the time. I use the large Wilton cake slicer thingy icon_smile.gif I know many don't like it, but it works great for me. Slice through the cake and then I use a large flat cookie sheet to slide between the layers. torte the bottom layer then slide the top layer back on. Works like a charm everytime. Hope this makes sense. I wouldn't do it any other way. HTH

jillangel Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

I do these all the time. I use the large Wilton cake slicer thingy icon_smile.gif I know many don't like it, but it works great for me. Slice through the cake and then I use a large flat cookie sheet to slide between the layers. torte the bottom layer then slide the top layer back on. Works like a charm everytime. Hope this makes sense. I wouldn't do it any other way. HTH

I do the EXACT same thing! Wilton cake slicer and large cookie sheet.

trixe371 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 11

I have also done it but I do make sure the cake is half frozen easier for me to handle. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 11

Here is another method icon_smile.gif No torting :
Using a smooth filling (no chunks, nuts etc) fill a pastry bag fixed with a round tip (about #5-icon_cool.gif. Push tip into cake and squeeze until it just starts to puff up. Do this about ever 2-3 inches. That's it folks! You're doneicon_smile.gif

margaretb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 11

I can't believe how long I have been reading this site, and I never clued in that it would be easier to tort a partially frozen cake. Whenever I try and slide the top layer onto something, it ends up a little squished. Gosh, just in time, too, because I've volunteered to make SIX cakes the last week of June!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%