Fruit Filling / Buttercream

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm by Rylan

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hi CC'ers,

Just needed to know when filling a cake with fruit filling do you first put a layer of the buttercream on the cake and then the fruit filling or do you just put the fruit filling on the layers just liek that?

Thanks

4 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

Some put a crumb coat of buttercream, but I just do a dam of icing and fill with fruit filling.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 5

For me it depends. When using jam, I like to spread it onto the cake first. It soaks into the cake a bit and colors it. When using a bonfide fruit filling, if you intend on using buttercream, the buttercream will need to go down first since it will be impossible to spread buttercream on top a loose filling.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 5

I mix the filling into the butter cream to make what people often mistake for a fruit mousse. And I find it to be a little more stable/less slippery than jam or fruit filling alone.

Other than that, I either use just fruit filling, or just butter cream. I've never spread one on the other.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

I sometimes mix it together. I also sometimes put a thin layer of buttercream and then another thin layet of filling. I've also done fruit filling alone with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%