Any Cake Decorating/baking Advice

Decorating By bakescakes1227 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 12:31pm by cakes22

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 4

I am 15 and I want to decorate cakes for my career, I made my baby brothers cake , and I fell in love with baking and decorating cakes, I have made many cakes since then and now I want advice or tips on decorating and baking cakes, so please pass on your knowlege to a beginner and reply to this post with tips and advice!
Thank you in advance,
Stephanie in Oregon

3 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to CC! This is really an addicition you are starting and can get expensive. Just realize that now and start enjoying it! Find recipes that you like and work well for you. It does not matter how amazing a cake looks if it tastes awful. Friends and family are good taste tester for your work. There are a lot of free how to videos on the net as well as CC. The library might have some useful books as well. Classes are available at craft stores. CC has a lot of great people and a loads of pics to inspire you. You might also see if you can intern at a local bakery and build your skills there. Best of luck.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 4

I give you thumbs up for having interest in this hobby as a young age.

I would suggest you watch youtube videos (that's what got me started), get books and check out the threads here in CC.

Good luck.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 4

Practice, practice, practice. If you can afford to make a cake a week, do it. Start off with the basics, pick up things as you go (tools, tips, etc). Visit your library (school or public) and find some books about baking and/or caking/decorating. Watch YouTube, especially Toneda & serious_cakes. Experiment with your equipment. If you have different tips, they can be used in more than one way. Try different designs, lace work, scrolls. Practice your writing/printing. You can have an amazing cake & ruin it with horrible writing. If your interested in baking from scratch, try a couple of recipes (chocolate & a yellow) and perfect those. Then try adding different flavour combinations. Take a course. Michaels offer Wilton courses, but sometimes there are classes available thru community colleges.

Good luck and Welcome to CC!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%