Have You Ever Had Anyone Ask You This?

Business By momma28 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm by loriemoms

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I had a mom ask if I could make her 5 year old daughter's birthday cake, and have the DAUGHTER help me decorate it. I was aghast. Doesn't that sound like a real treat?

I just politely told her I wouldn't be interested in doing that. I gave her some ideas of how SHE could do a cupcake decorating party for her daughter and all her little friends. Funny thing, she said, "OH, I'm not ready for that." Ya' think? Me, either.

Oh, that is sad. It sounds like the mom wanted to buy the experience of having her daughter help make a cake. She should be the one doing that with her, even if it's just a simple cake mix that the little girl can stir and then frost with some frosting from a can. icon_sad.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:17am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Everybody seen this video? Pay special attention to the couple at the beginning and end. icon_smile.gif

I told you it was a funny situation, stupid to ask but funny!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #33 of 39

Miss-tif, I agree. It's something that you'd hope the mom would do with her daughter, because it's a bonding experience. But maybe the mom does bake with her, but just wanted her to get to do more decorating? I don't know...

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #34 of 39

I met with a local cake person for a consult on my daughter's wedding in August. Fast forward a month and I lose my job. I contacted cake lady to see if I could offer to volunteer in her cake shop - I can't accept payment as I'd lose my unemployment benefits. She said she'd consider it, I think she thought I wanted to work to pay for my daughter's cake (no way!).

I seriously only wanted to be there to learn how the pros do things. I decorate as a hobby, would have been glad to answer the phones, clean up, etc... not looking for her secrets, just need something to do and why not do something related to cakes! BTW, I'm moving out of state soon so she needn't be worried that I'd start baking here as a business. After reading these posts I realize I must have insulted her but since I really just met her she couldn't know my intentions were good.

She didn't take me up on the offer and I've not asked again. She lost out on free labor and I lost out on not learning how the pros handle things. Oh well, maybe when I move I can help someone else in their shop.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Everybody seen this video? Pay special attention to the couple at the beginning and end. icon_smile.gif

trying to fiure out a way to cleverly put this on my website right now! icon_rolleyes.gif

Any ideas?

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #36 of 39

If this person wants to help, call them when you are done & they can come clean up. That is also part of cake decorating icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #37 of 39

Love the video!

To the topic, I have been on both sides of this. When I was trying to get started decorating cakes, I watched a family friend do a wedding cake one evening. She does live about 45 minutes from me, so we were not competition for each other. I asked her if I could watch her stack a cake and she was more than happy to let me (for free).

Several months ago, a lady called me and asked me all kinds of questions about my cakes...pricing, how to smooth icing, recipes, etc. I gave her very vague answers and she eventually just went away. I do not particularly care for this person and wouldn't want to be around her long enough to show her anything. She is not a legal baker and tried to steal my longstanding clients (one of these was my good friend of many years) by undercutting my prices.

I kind of got off topic. In your case, my gut tells me to probably not do it.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #38 of 39

CindyD, I don't know that I would have been insulted. Working for free? Still paying for a wedding cake? Not about to be competition? Wow! She sure did lose out on you!!!! Can I make your wedding cake?????

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I had someone call me last night asking for a sculpted Hello Kitty cake. No biggie. Then she says...Do you have anyone help you, I said no its just me. She clarifies and says SHE wants to help me with her cake so she can learn how to make them!!!!!!!

My response : My kitchen is inspected by the VA Dept Agriculture and I can't have customers in there baking and decorating with me.

What I WANTED to say: Are you out of your mind, i'm not a decorating class im a business....go to michaels and take a wilton class! UGH

Has anyone ever asked you to help with their cake?

Oh yeah! I had a lady at a wedding show come up to me and TELL me how she is going to come on by for a couple of weeks and watch me work so she can learn how I do everything. She said she also wants to open a bakery and felt I could teach her everything. She then proceeded to ask me what days would be best for me. I looked her straight in the eye and I told her that I am busy with brides right now and no, she will not come watch me work and if she wants to open her own bakery, good luck, and walked away. My voice was all smiles, but I gave her the nastiest look I could. People are crazy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%