Help With Wedding Cake Set Up

Decorating By donkeemom Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 4:20am by Momkiksbutt

donkeemom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 7

I will be doing my first wedding cake in September. It will be outside and we are in Southern California (hot). How soon before the event should I set the cake up? Also the bride wants buttercream, I am thinking fondant might hold up better. Any suggestions? I appreciate all the help I can get.

6 replies
Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

OMG...........think: Heat + BC = Puddle of melting sugar.....= unhappy bride.....

I hardly ever will do a wedding cake in BC unless it A) INSIDE and B) AIRCONDITIONED!!

Cakes hate heat, no matter if it's BC or fondant, but fondant holds up longer than BC.

You need to have a long and very detailed talk with the bride and make sure she knows that if she intends to have an outdoors wedding in CA with cake, she needs to provide a space that is both shaded from the sun, and is able to be served as quickly as possible.

Also, make sure you have a contract that states you are not responsible for any damage, including damage caused by placement, by request of the client, in an environment that will damage the cake.

This covers you for any stupid judgment errors they might make because they think our work should be "constructable", yet moist and easy to eat. Trust me, they really do think that....people are just funny that way sometimes.

Congrats on your first big order, and good luck to you!!

donkeemom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

That makes perfect sense! I will follow through with your advise. The bride is a relative, I think she will be convinced once I explain the wonderful points you have mentioned.

Thanks for your time, it is so appreciated!

Uniqueask Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

Indydebi buttercream stands up to heat PM her and see what she says.

donkeemom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

I actually just tried that recipe this weekend for cupcakes and everyone loved it. Good idea, I will see what she says.......thanks

in2cakes2 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 7

I agree PM Indydebi about her BC this maybe just what your bride is looking for, it tastes great and is very sturdy. Good luck thumbs_up.gif .

Momkiksbutt Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

OMG........I just noticed that I had a major spelling error in my post....I meant to say "indistructable"...not "constructable"......geesh!! What's wrong with eh? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%