Graduation Tassels Need Help!

Decorating By Sweetcakes23 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38am by jtnbatch

Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 9

Can I get some suggestions on best way to make graduation cap tassels? Do I use that large tip that extrudeds like several holes at once? Kinda looks like large grass tip?
I'm not sure....I did one a long time ago, but I think I hand rolled each one, and really think there must be a better way. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
Michele25 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,

Here is a link to a thread on how to make a graduation tassel, from CC Member, sadsmile.

Hope that helps!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6315111.html#6315111

Tamz Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know if this option is available to you, but when I did my cousins graduation 2 years ago, we used her tassel for the cake. When she got to the party we took her tassel off her cap and put it in place, then put the fondant button looking disc in the center of the board, to look like a real cap. Because the cake was covered in fondant and not buttercream, the tassel wasn't damaged by frosting. Hope that helps!

Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 9

There is an easy, and remarkably effective way to get this done. Get yourself a garlic press! Yup, I said garlic press!

Just put your fondant into the press and keep feeding it through until you get the length you are looking for. Let it lay for about 10 minutes without diturbing it, and then place it on the cake. You can pick up a hand held press for about $2.00 just about at any grocery store or department store. I got mine at Ross's. Those larger grinder style ones are great for larger amounts, but tend to be less "controllable" as the smaller ones. Just make sure that you don't press the whole amount out before adding more to, when your making longer strands.

If your going to do this though, I recommend you add some gum paste to your fondant mixture. A 1/3 parts gum paste to 2/3 fondant is a good mix. This will make your fondant more pliable, and more cohesive. It will also aid in keeping it from crumbling too easily if it is moved or bumped.

Good Luck!!

scrabblemomof1 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 9

Good question. I got asked to decorate a rum cake (in addition to the computer cake for the graduate) for next sunday and since i'll have little time and the cake is going to be round, I decided to do a graduation cap.

All these suggestions sounds good (especially the garlic press) but I saw online last week to make a tassel, just roll a wad of fondant/gumpaste mix into a cylinder like shape, like a tassel, and just use the pointy fondant tool to press in lines all around.

1234me Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 9

I used my clay gun extruder and it worked perfectly.

Momkiksbutt Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #7 of 9

I wish I had one of those!!!! Lucky!!

TTSweet Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Momkiksbutt! I've always thought it could be done with a garlic press but didn't think to add more before it runs out to get a long strand. Duh! THANKS!! I'll do it for a cake for this Saturday.

Luv ur signature too. I had a t-shirt that said that.

jtnbatch Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #9 of 9

I am working on a graduation cake myself, and I stole my 2 year old's play dough tool. It is similar to the garlic press, I did one color then the other, put them together, making sure it didn't clump anywhere and it worked amazing...so if you have play dough tools around the house, that will work too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%