Maintaining The Freshness Of Cookies While Waiting For Icing

Baking By loves2bake4six Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm by luv2bake6

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 5

How do you maintain the freshness of your cookies while waiting for the icing to harden so you can package them?

Thanks

4 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 5

I have just left them on the cooling grids lined with parchment. The humidity keeps them soft but the icing dries, almost oxymoron like I know, but it works for me. I can usually package the cookies within 6 hours shorter if I use a heat lamp. HTH

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

I usually package them within one day of icing them, and I have never had a problem with the cookies not staying fresh. I usually let them dry on a cookie sheet or a cooling grid and they are uncovered....You should be fine.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

I just leave them on the cooling racks to dry. I take them off the parchment they baked on when cool, put them onto sheet pans with fresh parchment, ice and decorate, then leave out to dry. They can't be covered or in a tupperware because the icing won't dry. My cookies stay moist, especially in warmer weather with humidity, and absorb moisture/butter from the icing (depending on what icing is used). I then package them the next day -making sure the icing is set. I usually make scrap cookies with the remaining dough -taste testers and for trial decorating and testing for dryness. icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 5

It's so weird. I have never had my cookies soften no matter how long they sat out to dry. Yet today, my iced cookies were so soft. It is humid today but it's been humid before when i had cookies out drying. Go figure. I'm not thrilled about this softness cuz now i'm nervous they will break easily while packaging and in transit..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%