Dog Bones...whats The Best Way.....

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm by CHoxie

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 10

Whats the best way you have found to do dog bones? I'm having a toss up between RI and gum paste. I need to do a pile of dog bones. If you prefer gum paste wound a cutter or just molding work better do you think?

Thanks muchly!
Ashley

9 replies
traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 10

There are dog bone cookie cutters. What I would do is make the cookies, if you can't find the cutters just make a templet. After baking you can coat them in white or dark chocolate, or even royal icing. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 10

Oh I should have clarified............I'm not doing cookies I nedd to make a pile of dog bones on top of the cake.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 10

I'll go for the GP because RI is very fragil and can break easily and I'll do them freehand molding, they don't have to be perfect, they're bones!
I forgot to say, if you do them with RI one side is going to be flat instead of bone shaped.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 10

Id do gumpaste or fondant. RI bones would probably be flat, right? I think something 3d molded out of gumpaste would look nicer

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with the other....the gumpaste will be much more three dimensional and realistic looking. Post pics!!

CanadianCakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone! Yea I think GP is the way to go!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 10

Mine were made out of gumpaste. I just shaped it and molded it into the size I wanted.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 10

Oh yes gumpaste is the way to go. Good luck.

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 10

I made bones for Halloween out of meringue. Pretty simple, baked, and looked like real bones. Think it was a Martha Stewart recipe from one of her magazines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%