Do You Know Who & How? Pretty Long... :(

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 12:50am by maimai16

maimai16 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 6

hi everyone =)

a friend asked me to do her sister's wedding cake. and i'm freaking out coz this is my first wedding cake and its due on july 2 icon_eek.gif and i have this pic saved on my computer and she loved it thumbs_up.gif sadly, was not able to save who made this. i know i got this pic from here... whoever who made this cake, your design rocks!!! usaribbon.gif and hoping that its ok to use it for my first wedding cake... pretty please icon_smile.gif

now the question are:
1. do you think if i make 4 8 12 will not make the spaces too wide with this design?
2. i dont know how to make that "scroll" parttern, i'm not sure if thats what you call them lol... do you think its rolled fondant? if not, can i use fondant instead? i'm bad at piping so im keeping my fingers crossed that i can use fondant...
3. the top tier is not seen in this pic, what do you think are on top? roses or just the simple flowers that you can see on the other tiers? how many flowers can i place on it?
4. here in our country we don't really serve the wedding cake at the reception, its more like a display at the wedding... and the couple's budget are limited so they suggested to just use dummy cakes on top & bottom... having my cake in the middle of 2 dummy cakes, do i still need to use SPS or dowel will do the trick? venue will be 45mins away from my location.
5. do i need to place a board under the top tier which is a dummy cake?
6. and lastly, the cakes are all round, is it a rule to use a round cake board/plate on round cakes?

i don't have any formal training on cake decorating so you might find my concerns dumb or weird. hoping you guys can help me pull this one... you are my saviors, all of the cakes i have done was inspired by you guys... that is why i love love love cake central... icon_smile.gif

thanks in advance guys =)
LL

5 replies
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 6

1. 4" 8" and 12" should look ok
2. Its my feeling that trying to make that design out of fondant would be DIFFICULT, but you might find it easier to look for a scroll imprinter to help you lightly imprint a design, and then pipe on that. This definately looks like piping.
3. No roses on top, it appears just a few of the simple flowers on top and more off to side. "Always in odd numbers."
4. I would use the dummies on the bottom tiers and have "their" top tier as the one they keep. At least that's what we do here in the states. Then I think dowels, and one down through the center should support it fine.
5. I would use a cake board under each "cake." It would help with consistancy in height.
6. Yes, its a typical rule to use a round cake board under round cakes. Otherwise they would stick out and show under your cake.

Good luck, i'm sure it'll be beautiful!

maimai16 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

thanks sweetcakes23 =) i haven't think of keeping the top tier... i will suggest that =)

scroll imprinter is soo expensive here, i'm trying to improvise... does anyone have a pattern or a link that i can print it and use as my guide? of course a similar pattern will be nicer... =)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 6

maimai, do you have a clay gun extruder? you can use that for the scrolls or roll out some snakes and then form the scrolls. i read somebody do that on flickr. it's a beautiful cake btw. icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

I understand, What I do in that case is, print out your picture as a "guide."

On parchment paper, use a marker, and freehand the S type scrolls, and designs, like are in this picture. they are just small scrolls put together how you like....Then fill a pastry bag with icing and "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE" piping them.... and once you get it down, you'll feel more comfortable doing it on the cake. I hope this helps!
I'm sure you can do it!

maimai16 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 6

AKA_cupcakeshoppe, unfortunately i dont have gun extruder... but thats on my list already icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23, i might try your suggestion... now i'm off to get my 'guide'...

anyone who have patterns of 's like scrolls'? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%